Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need Search Engine Update

Any search engine that will work on this computer other than safari. Some items i cannot get to load - just keep seeing wheel spinning stays there. Have to X out and not Load that information. I know this is old power mac but would like to stay with it.

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11), early 2005 model

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 3:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 3:26 PM

Safari is a browser, not a search engine (such as Google or Bing) and your choice of browser is very limited on an old system such as yours.

Your best option is the PPC version of Firefox called TenFourFox.

You can download TenFourFoxG5 from here:

http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

Now for the interesting bit: TenFourFox, like Firefox, does not support most plug-ins. Unless you are prone to headaches (in which case don't) you can read about that here:

http://code.google.com/p/tenfourfox/wiki/PluginsNoLongerSupported

But there is a workaround!

Open TenFourFox and type in the address bar: about:config (no spaces) and click return. This gives you a warning that it might harm the application. Ignore that and click on 'I'll be careful, I promise' and you get the config file that you can edit - with great care.

Look/search (scroll down) for: tenfourfox.plugins.enabled

Set it to true. (Double click it to toggle it)

Now close TenFourFox, open it again, and Flash will now work, as it now uses the plug-ins that Safari has stored.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2015 3:26 PM in response to nowlinfromtulsa

Safari is a browser, not a search engine (such as Google or Bing) and your choice of browser is very limited on an old system such as yours.

Your best option is the PPC version of Firefox called TenFourFox.

You can download TenFourFoxG5 from here:

http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

Now for the interesting bit: TenFourFox, like Firefox, does not support most plug-ins. Unless you are prone to headaches (in which case don't) you can read about that here:

http://code.google.com/p/tenfourfox/wiki/PluginsNoLongerSupported

But there is a workaround!

Open TenFourFox and type in the address bar: about:config (no spaces) and click return. This gives you a warning that it might harm the application. Ignore that and click on 'I'll be careful, I promise' and you get the config file that you can edit - with great care.

Look/search (scroll down) for: tenfourfox.plugins.enabled

Set it to true. (Double click it to toggle it)

Now close TenFourFox, open it again, and Flash will now work, as it now uses the plug-ins that Safari has stored.

Jun 29, 2015 3:41 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

Perhaps that option was not available for the version of TenFourFox for that ancient version of OS X or the PPC chip that ran it.

I had a G3 once, about 15 years ago as I recall, and presumably used Safari. It was running OS 8.6. The internet, and the requirements for accessing it, have changed so much over the years that a G3 cannot be expected to make any headway.

I presume that you are not posting here from your G3?!

Jun 29, 2015 4:49 PM in response to Klaus1

got the app. Loaded - could not find the plugins/enabled

plugins/override was there so did the true and double toggle - finished up like you said.

its working and I can at least use some of the newer sites now like

Go-Daddy and etc. guess the G3 didn't get it done but I was lucky my G5 seems to be running

firefox fine. I am not using it for the default but can go to it when I need to.

appreciate your input.

Jun 29, 2015 5:06 PM in response to Klaus1

maybe the G3 version needs a little catching up. What Ten4Fox version are you giving the workaround for?

Now how would I get hold of the above screenshot if not, amigo?

Pismo PowerBook

User Agent = Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; PPC Mac OS X 10.4; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0 TenFourFox/G3

User uploaded file

I am not a big fan of watching videos, so I am not at that big of a disadvantage. Actually, Ten4Fox is the only reason I am NOT overanxious about getting new gear. QuicktimeEnabler (what exactly does one call it - not an add-on & not a plug-in) suffices for what little video I need. Heck, H.264 is the greatest enemy... and the Pismo was first production portable to calculate a gigaflop! (I convert the downloaded MP4s to MOVs using FLV Crunch.app - it makes me be very selective in my viewing habits!)

Jun 30, 2015 9:06 AM in response to Klaus1

All too true... there is some statement somewhere in the "release notes" to the effect that G4 & G5 versions take advantage of Intel processor capabilities and such, but I cannot see how "enable plug-ins" could be processor specific, but I am eminently unqualified on such matters

I am OK with my WorkFlow as is. Was just curious as to how TFF would act for me. (I only have a couple of websites that still rely on Flash for real-time "charts" - I just use Safari(4.1.3) in the rare-odd occasion I need them)

On another note concerning TFF... I got the "notice" of the '31.8.0' update available today at launch. It seems all the download links are STILL 31.7.0 builds(?) - I have scoured around and think it is merely an oversight (unusual?) that the latest versions are not posted/linked - will wait and see. One day, the feature set will bring the TFF project screeching to a halt, methinks.

buenos dias, amigo

ÇÇÇ

Need Search Engine Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.