Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.1.2.27, manually initiate sync with gen 1 apple tv?

Hi just installed iTunes 12.1.2.27 and I'm stumped?

I use 2 x 1st gen apple tvs and I want to sync my chosen content from iTunes to these apple tvs,

they are both set up and connected to iTunes

in preferences I like to tick the box which states "prevent apple tvs from syncing automatically"

I like to sync manually when I choose to,

however in 12.1.2.27 there doesn't seem to be any way to initiate sync, in other words there is no word 'sync' to click on in any menu anywhere?

in older versions of iTunes, in the side bar, I could right click next to the apple tv icon and get a menu with 'sync' in the list,

now there's no list, there's no 'sync' button or selection anywhere, any idea how I can initiate sync manually the way I did in older versions of iTunes?

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 6:38 PM

11 replies

Jun 29, 2015 5:17 AM in response to turingtest2

Hi, thanks for the reply, yes the Apple TVs show up at the top along with ipods etc that's not the issue, the issue is that there is nothing which allows me to initiate the sync function manually

I have it set on automatic and it syncs ok, just disappointed that they removed the manual sync feature in iTunes 12,

unless I'm missing something?

Jul 2, 2015 11:17 AM in response to keithnab

Hi thanks for the reply

I'm on a Mac running Yosemite

the only things that show up at the bottom of the iTunes window when I select one of my Apple TVs is the multi-colored strip showing the content of the Apple TV, next to that are two buttons 'Revert' and 'Apply', these are only active when I change a setting for the Apple TV,

there is no sync button at the bottom, no sync button anywhere, no sync selection in any menu or list anywhere!

this is my whole point, they give you a tick box that gives you the option to '"Prevent Apple TVs from syncing automatically", but then they give you no other way to sync?

They just don't think things through the way they used to it seems 😟

iTunes 12.1.2.27, manually initiate sync with gen 1 apple tv?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.