Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will apple music work on ipod classic starting June 30?

Will Apple Music be compatible with IPod Classic beginning June 30?

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 3:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 3:47 PM

No, Apple Music comes with the latest version of iOS 8 (8.4) and The iPod Touch 5th Generation is the only iPod compatible.

17 replies

Jul 3, 2015 4:53 AM in response to Funkdaddie360

This is a pity and a great limitation

I use an iPod in my car, and I thought I would be able to listen to new music which I have added for offline use from Apple Music.

The interface/effect of viewing and choosing new music seems different in itunes when compared to how it works and tunes added on my iphone.

So - to listen to new music in car I will need to plug in my iphone, in place of the ipod, which is inconvenient.

I might not keep the subscription. Spotify may have aspects which are better . . .

Jul 3, 2015 5:14 AM in response to mickywoodsie

I got September 2010 as a release date for the 4th gen. iPod touch. That you may have bought it later doesn't change the fact that it has become dated. Newer devices have better processors. At some point the upgrade path for older models is frozen as they cannot run the latest code satisfactorily. The devices will continue to work for as long as their hardware does. It is a shame you can't enjoy the latest features, although not everyone is happy with them, but no, no warning is or was necessary.

tt2

Jul 23, 2015 1:11 AM in response to turingtest2

I got the 2011 date here http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ipod/specs/ipod-touch-4th-gen-4ge-2011-whi te-specs.html The point is that for simple music streaming software that should be sufficient. I have the apple music app on my ipad and PC and to be honest it is pretty simple compared to BBC iplayer etc that's why I can't understand why it was designed to NOT be compatible! Anyway I will stick to my amazon cloud player for the ipod

Jul 28, 2015 8:27 AM in response to turingtest2

I have a 2 year old iPod classic and the main reason to bought it it is because of the storage capacity, now that of I'm trying to add more value to my item it turns out that since I have the classic version I cannot get to use Apple Music, that's not a good value, I rather to continue with my Spotify subscription because they seem to care the most about they customers...

Sep 15, 2015 11:32 PM in response to Funkdaddie360

The problem here is not apple music, is the fact the apple music off line tracks in MAC OS itunes, can't sync with whatever device, through USB cable cause of DRMs.

I think an improve DRMs method linked to the DATE of payment of your subscription would be a better way to deliver apple music.

Calssic ipod is just more cooler to use and get as outfit, new touchscreen ipod just suck.

Even create playlist is more tricky in a touch screen device (to me of course), as decide massive synchronized tracks is far easier and lesser time consuming with the flag/unflag method within itunes software.

Don't know, this is very disappointing.

Jul 19, 2016 12:29 PM in response to starvin

Got the same problem....

iPod classic 160 gb ready to roll for on vacation...

But now I have found out that songs, playlists or albums downloaded (to listen offline) to my Mac mini can not be put on my iPod classic....

All my playlists.... All my albums 'bought' through Apple Music can not be put onto my apple device....

The only solution is to buy a new iPod touch with a large drive.... It will cost me almost 500 euro's.......

So I can only use my iPod classic for my ripped cds... Or music I once bought form the I tunes store......

I am really disappointed....and a bit angry!

Will apple music work on ipod classic starting June 30?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.