Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine back up too slow - delete history?

hi,

i have just bought a new MacBook and dragged the entire backup from my old Mac onto my new one. However, when I run a back up with the new mac, it takes ages to finish. Eg a 1.5 gig backup took over an hour this morning.

what can I do about it? Would it help to delete my entire time capsule once and just start with an entirely new back up from my Mac? As in delete the entire history so far, since it is at least 3 years of back ups on there?

THanks for for your helP!

MacBook Pro, iOS 8.2

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 4:22 PM

4 replies

Jun 29, 2015 5:26 AM in response to Marrvark

Eg a 1.5 gig backup took over an hour this morning.

That is far too slow.. you should get 50-60GB per hour.

How old is the TC?

Does your MacBook lack ethernet port.. If you haven't yet purchased a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter go out at the first opportunity and get one.. because ethernet is still hugely superior to wireless and likely always will be..

Plug the computer in by ethernet and enjoy decent speeds.. you can do incremental backups over wireless once the main backup is accomplished.

And yes, it probably is worth wiping the disk of the TC and starting over.. however don't rush in..

If you have the space simply rename the computer and start a new backup.. and leave the old backup .. if there is not enough space consider buying a USB drive and save the backup so you have access to those files for a while until you are sure there is nothing you require.. I would hate to suggest deletion and then .. next day you realise you need it.

Jul 7, 2015 4:13 PM in response to LaPastenague

Hi,

Sorry for getting back so late and thank you very much for your response.

I have done that now, and it improved my backup speed drastically, thanks for the advice.

One more question: I have done this last night and it said the entire backup was 175 Gigs. My time capsule's capacity is 998 Gigs. When I checked in the morning, the backup was done. In Airport Disk Utility, it said that my time capsule had 845 Gigs of free space available. How is that possible? 998 - 175 = 823. Should I worry (Remember I have OCD at a advanced stage 😉 )?

Thanks,

Jul 7, 2015 4:46 PM in response to Marrvark

Marrvark wrote:

Should I worry (Remember I have OCD at a advanced stage 😉 )?

Thanks,

Don't worry.. be happy.. 🙂🙂

The world of hard disks is one of mass confusion.

The disk manufacturers like to use digital bytes.. ie 1000bytes = 1KB

This is done purely for making the numbers look big.. ie snake oil salesmen exist in every sphere under heaven..

Of course 1024bytes = 1KB because this is a binary not digital world.

Your hard disk in the TC is not 998GBytes.. it is a 928GB drive (after the 2GB are removed for local use).

and files are probably in real Bytes.. so when you add and subtract sizes you will quickly find you hate and despise hard disk manufacturers and their snake oil bottles of 1 pint = 14 oz.

See http://www.howtogeek.com/123268/windows-hard-drive-wrong-capacity/

BTW even apple cannot get it consistent. The old utility showed true bytes and the new one shows digital bytes so you have no hope.

If this causes your OCD to become severe.. I strongly recommend a cave in the wilderness somewhere.

Time machine back up too slow - delete history?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.