Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto not being updated.

Hi,

I have MacBook Air , and as usual iPhoto was already installed in the system. However , due to my exams and other schedules , I couldn't update iPhoto for quite some time. Now when I am trying to update it, a message appears reading "THIS ITEM IS TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE. TRY AGAIN LATER" What to do in such a situation? Please give your suggestions ASAP.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 9:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 10:48 PM

I have MacBook Air , and as usual iPhoto was already installed in the system. However , due to my exams and other schedules , I couldn't update iPhoto for quite some time. Now when I am trying to update it, a message appears reading "THIS ITEM IS TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE. TRY AGAIN LATER" What to do in such a situation? Please give your suggestions ASAP.

Are you now running MacOS X 10.10.3?

On a Mac with Yosemite 10.10.3 you need iPhoto 9.6.1. This version is only available from the App Store. But Apple stopped selling iPhoto from the App Store with the release of the new Photos.app.

You can no longer buy iPhoto from the App Store anywhere, and also not update it from the "Updates" tab of the App Store. You can however reinstall it, if it is showing among your Purchases at the App Store and associated with your AppleID.

Sign into the App Store and look at the Purchases tab. Is iPhoto listed there? Only if you see it there, can you reinstall as described in this User Tip:

Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS... | Apple Support Communities

The main idea is to move the incompatible iPhoto app to the Trash, so Spotlight does not see it as installed, reload the App Store by pressing ⌘R, and then to try to download again from the App Store - from your Purchases tab, not from the main page, since you can neither buy iPhoto nor update it, but you can reinstall, if your AppleID is associated with it.

So move iPhoto to the Trash (don't empty the Trash), relaunch the App Store. The button to the right if iPhoto should change to Install on the "Purchases" tab.

If you do not see iPhoto there, try to unhide your Purchases as described on this page: Hide and unhide purchases in the Mac App Store - Apple Support

If you do not own an AppStore version of iPhoto you will not be able to install iPhoto and update it this way, unless you can talk the App Store Support into providing you with a redeem code for iPhoto so you can install it.

Otherwise you can try to open your iPhoto Library in the new Photos.app that came with your new Mac as part of Yosemite.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2015 10:48 PM in response to {aadi}

Are you now running MacOS X 10.10.3?

On a Mac with Yosemite 10.10.3 you need iPhoto 9.6.1. This version is only available from the App Store. But Apple stopped selling iPhoto from the App Store with the release of the new Photos.app.

You can no longer buy iPhoto from the App Store anywhere, and also not update it from the "Updates" tab of the App Store. You can however reinstall it, if it is showing among your Purchases at the App Store and associated with your AppleID.

Sign into the App Store and look at the Purchases tab. Is iPhoto listed there? Only if you see it there, can you reinstall as described in this User Tip:

Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS... | Apple Support Communities

The main idea is to move the incompatible iPhoto app to the Trash, so Spotlight does not see it as installed, reload the App Store by pressing ⌘R, and then to try to download again from the App Store - from your Purchases tab, not from the main page, since you can neither buy iPhoto nor update it, but you can reinstall, if your AppleID is associated with it.

So move iPhoto to the Trash (don't empty the Trash), relaunch the App Store. The button to the right if iPhoto should change to Install on the "Purchases" tab.

If you do not see iPhoto there, try to unhide your Purchases as described on this page: Hide and unhide purchases in the Mac App Store - Apple Support

If you do not own an AppStore version of iPhoto you will not be able to install iPhoto and update it this way, unless you can talk the App Store Support into providing you with a redeem code for iPhoto so you can install it.

Otherwise you can try to open your iPhoto Library in the new Photos.app that came with your new Mac as part of Yosemite.

iPhoto not being updated.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.