Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i need to upgrade my storage on my mac pro 2009

So as i stated i have a early 2009 mac pro, and i need to upgrade its storage.

1. Whats the best way to go about this (take it to a computer shop or have mac do it?)
  2. I need a lot of storage. (like 8 gigs)

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 6:36 PM

12 replies

Jun 29, 2015 9:27 AM in response to clay1989

I am assuming you have a Mac Pro desktop (Big Silver-looking tower) and not a MacBook Pro. You may not be suprised how many people make the mistake of confusing the two and posting in the wrong forum. If you Do have a Macbook pro, consider posting in that forum. With that out of the way, it's easy. Your mac pro desktop has 4 drive bays, which can hold 4 hard drives with sata II interface. I've heard that you can put 8 tb drives in there, but I can't say for sure. You are welcome to try, though. back to your question. Here's what you do: go buy a reliable brand or model of hard drive in the size you want. I bought Western digital and a seagate. both have been fine for now. Buy 3 of them. take them out of their package. Shut down your Mac Pro desktop, take off the side panel . Wait a bit. below the optical drive are the 4 hard drive bays. assuming they are not locked, put your fingers under and pull them out one at a time towards you . install the hard drive into the drive sled with a #2 phillips screwdriver, with the power and sata plug towards the rear . Push the now filled sled back into the slot, al the way back in. You can see if it went all the way back or not. After getting all the sleds back in, put the side cover on. reboot your machine. go to disk utility and format your new hard drives appropriately. You are now done. Might I suggest that while you're going about getting more hard drive space, you should also get a backup system of some kind and use it. Hard drives may fail without warning, and if you haven't done a backup of your important stuff, you could be in a lot of trouble. I use an Airport time capsule which is easy to set up and use. backups are automatic as well.

just my 10 cents

John B

Jun 29, 2015 11:27 AM in response to Csound1

i never said 8 gigs. i have no idea why some people are feeling the need to talk about gigs and RAM. i am talking about harddrives, i have always been talking about hard drives & have been very clear about this. ( at least i thought)

Yes i am fully aware that 15 terabytes is a lot. i have multiple computers and externalharddrives i need to consolidate and manage and the only way i feel that i can is to be able to sort all the data together on one computer then organize it, and im amateur music producer, and i like to save all of my music files. i already have 3 terabytes full of nothing but music. that doesnt count the 2 terabytes i have in movies

Jun 29, 2015 11:47 AM in response to clay1989

I thought as of today 6TB was it so do you want 2x4TB? RAID0 or just what you think you need. If someone "needs" 8TB then add fudge factor, never use a drive beyond 65-75% as a rule of thumb.

And some only have 3GB RAM and really do need 3 or 4 x 4GB or better.

Boot drive - 256GB SSD probably.

Hard? at 20W?

hdd have always been DIY - plus cheaper and better - unless using hardware RAID NAS / SAS/SCSI or something

i need to upgrade my storage on my mac pro 2009

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.