Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I connect and play my electric guitar through my iMac (OS X Yosemite)

Sorry if this post is long, but I am really frustrated. I have reead multiple posts and tried multiple things suggested all to no avail. To save time for responders I am listing everything I have tried.

I have a new iMac with Yosemite (10.10.3). I want to be able to connect my electric guitar to my iMac and play along with iTunes and Online Guitar lessons. I have tried two methods of connecting my guitar to my iMac: A Hosa TrackLink Guitar to USB Interface cable and a M-Audio Fast Track Guitar/Mic recording Interface box. The M-Audio used to work fine with my Macbook running Snow Leopard and the older Garage Band. When in System Preferences I set the Sound input to either device, I can see signs of Input Level when I strum the guitar, however I hear absolutely no sound from my speakers. I have tried both the Internal speakers and the headphone output to my external speakers (which, by the way, work fine if I platy a song on iTunes) - no guitar sound in either case.

I have read all the posts I can find and none of them tell me anything that solves the issue. I have seen references to turning Monitor On in Garage band. I looked but saw no such option. I may be a bit ignorant with Garage Band because I haven't used it since the new version appears to be focused on recording and, as I said, all I want to be able to do is plug in and play along with iTunes and online guitar lessons.

What am I doing wrong here? Do I need some sort of App link Amp or will Garage band actually do what I need without recording? Can someone help a dummy out?

Thanks!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 6:52 PM

1 reply

Jun 30, 2015 1:45 PM in response to DanlB96

Good day DanlB96,

You can play your guitar through your iMac using GarageBand. Apple provides several articles for how to set this up. This first one tells you how to physically connect the guitar to the computer -

Connect your Mac to a home stereo, iPod, iPad, musical instruments, or speakers - Apple Support

Start with the section titled Plug in your guitar, bass, keyboard or microphone.

Use the following article for setting up the guitar to work through GarageBand -

GarageBand '11: Connect an electric guitar

If you want to record from the guitar, use the steps in this article -

GarageBand '11: Record an electric guitar

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Safe computing,

Brett L

How do I connect and play my electric guitar through my iMac (OS X Yosemite)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.