Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite Safari - preventing windows from opening

Hi. Using latest Safari with Yosemite. When I open Safari, over 100 windows open and continue opening - I've never let it run for a long time to see if it ever stops. I have to force quit to close Safari. When I try to hold shift and launch Safari, the window opening goes in slow motion. The windows appear whether online or not.

Any ideas?

iMacs/Mac Minis/Macbook Pros/etc

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 8:15 PM

6 replies

Jun 28, 2015 8:22 PM in response to Eric Erikson

Make sure your Mac's software is up to date.

Click your Apple  menu top left in your screen.

From the drop down menu click App Store then select Updates from the App Store menu.

If the software is actually up to date, try troubleshooting. Might be a cookies, cache, extensions, or plug-ins issue.

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Privacy tab.

Click: Remove All Website Data

Then delete the cache.

Open a Finder window. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Click Go then move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that didn't help, from the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. Turn that OFF, quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that helped, turn one extension on then quit and relaunch Safari to test until you find the incompatible extension then click uninstall.

If it's not an extensions issue, try troubleshooting third party plug-ins.

Back to Safari > Preferences. This time select the Security tab. Deselect: Allow plug-ins. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that made a difference, instructions for troubleshooting plugins here.

Jun 29, 2015 5:54 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Hi Carolyn. Forgot to mention - while Safari is opening all of these windows I'm unable to get to the menu. I see it, but not able to click it and get a response. Did check in Finder for the cache.db file. I have a cache.db, and cache.db-hm and cache.db-wal. Deleted all three but they just get recreated when opening Safari. Any way to get to Safari preferences without going into Safari?

Jun 29, 2015 7:49 AM in response to Eric Erikson

Back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Quit the application if it's running. Move the selected item to the Desktop, leaving the window open. Relaunch the application and test. If there's no change, quit again and put the item you moved back where it was, overwriting the one that may have been created in its place. Otherwise, delete the item you moved. If possible, restore it from a backup that predates the problem.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Yosemite Safari - preventing windows from opening

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.