Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Differences between Garage Band 09 and 11

I bought 2 Garage Band 09 books. Now i see we're up to GB version 11. Do i need to buy new books? What are the differences in newer version?

iMac (20-inch Mid 2007), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 8:31 PM

2 replies

Jun 28, 2015 11:16 PM in response to Mrs.Gberg

The most recent GarageBand version is GarageBand 10.10.3.

GarageBand '11 is also history now. The latest version of GarageBand '11 (version 6.0.5) is still able to run on MacOS X 10.10.3, but no longer fully compatible.

So go straight for GarageBand 10.0.3, if you want to buy new books. GarageBand 10 is more like Logic and you will definitely need new books.

As a start compare the online Help. http://help.apple.com/garageband/mac/10.0/

And you may find Edgar Rothermich's book helpful:

http://www.dingdingmusic.com/DingDing/Manuals.html

The difference between GarageBand '09 and '11 are not that dramatic. GarageBand '11 added the Guitar tracks and amps, also the flex tool to edit audio, access to iCloud to work with GarageBAnd on the iPad or use logic remote.

GarageBand 10 brought a completely different graphical user interface. Some GarageBand '11 features like Sound Effect instruments or podcasts are no longer supported, but we now have smart instruments - automatic drummers, smart strings, arpeggiators, a midi draw area for easier midi control, the Amp Designer. You will definitely need a new book.

Jun 29, 2015 7:36 PM in response to léonie

I have no idea of the numbers! Just checked I have GB version 10.0.3. I started with Mountain Lion in 2011, which worked well for me because what I wanted was to edit, delete, beginnings and endings of,, songs I recorded on, really old garageband desktop computer, and makr MP3s! Had to learn to do that myself, still trying to learn on my new 2012 MBP mid 2012 10.10.3! It took, about, 2 weeks to download My stuff's, online, at soundcloud.com/willyblues I write lyrics, sing. and play Blues Harp! About the books, Apple noe-a-days is being changed/updated so much the books become outdated on their way to you! I wouldn't bother with them, it is easier to read online help! 😎 😉

Differences between Garage Band 09 and 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.