Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have two ICloud accounts and I want to change the primary ICloud from one account to the other, can it be done and how do you do it?

I have 2 ICloud accounts. One is my primary and the second is my secondary. Unfortunately, my primary account is on the wrong one. Is there a way I can change the primary settings, or just get rid of one all together?

Thanks

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 8:22 PM

9 replies

Jun 28, 2015 8:39 PM in response to gail from maine

Okay, when I sign into ICloud Internet Accounts with my ICloud account it tells me,

"This is not my primary ICloud account. Only your primary account can be used for Safari, Photos, Documents, Keychain, Back to my Mac, or Find my Mac."

I was able to find two iCloud accounts and the other iCloud account is set as my Primary. I want to make the account i found my secondary account or get rid of it all together.

Jun 28, 2015 8:49 PM in response to gail from maine

When I sign into my laptop computer iCloud account, it tells me I have another account that is my primary iCloud account. I was able to find the second iCloud account and it states it is my primary account. The problem is I have all my, photos, music and movies with the first iCloud account with family sharing that is not set as my primary ICloud account. I would like to change the settings for my family account to be the primary ICloud account and change the other account to a secondary ICloud account or delete it.

Jun 28, 2015 9:10 PM in response to craz2909

Okay, what I seem to have found out is I have two Apple Id's and the first one is set as my primary account. The second apple Id is set as a secondary account. What I would like to do is chance the primary setting from the first account to the second account. So that my first Apple Id account becomes my secondary account and the second account becomes the primary account.

Jun 28, 2015 9:17 PM in response to craz2909

There is no such thing as a Primary and a Secondary Apple ID. If you have two Apple IDs, then the purchases made with either ID will be tied to that ID forever. The iCloud information that goes with a given Apple ID also "belongs" to that Apple/iCloud ID.

You can start using the other ID, but you will still need to make sure that any iTunes library that you are syncing with on a computer is authorized for both IDs in order to be able to download and play purchases from both. You will also need to know the password of both in order to update apps on your device.

The iCloud information stays with the Apple/iCloud account. You can sign out of iCloud and keep the Contacts for that iCloud account on the iOS device, and then merge them into another iCloud account, but Calendars, Notes, etc. remain with the iCloud account that they were created under.

Does that clear up your question?

Cheers,

GB

Jun 28, 2015 11:42 PM in response to craz2909

The iCloud account signed into in System Preferences>iCloud is the 'primary account' and has access to the full iCloud functions. Another account can be signed into in System Preferences>Mail, Contacts and Calendars and this is the 'secondary account' - it has no access to Photo Stream or the other facilities you list above.

You can sign out of both and then sign in in each case with the appropriate account, so that what was the secondary account becomes the primary account.

All this does not affect iTunes which though it may use the same Apple ID as an iCloud account isn't actually part of iCloud. As said above, purchases are tied to the login which made them and cannot be transferred to another ID. Also you cannot keep switching logins in iTunes, there is a 90 day delay before you can sign in with another account.

I have two ICloud accounts and I want to change the primary ICloud from one account to the other, can it be done and how do you do it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.