Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine copy of Mavericks for Yosemite

Hi all,

I had previously backed up my old MBP (on Mavericks) but unfortunately after only 2.5 years my MBP met a premature death as its logic board was fried. Consequently I purchased an MBA (with Yosemite preloaded) and I was able to use Migration Assistant to move some of the old content onto my MBA. After this was completed though, to my dismay I found that I was unable to look back to previous copies of my Time Machine (you know that window with the stars background where you could click back on different copies of your drive through time).

Is there something wrong with my Time Machine or is it because my copy was made using Mavericks and I am now using Yosemite?

Thanks.

Time Capsule-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 11:53 PM

6 replies

Jun 29, 2015 6:06 AM in response to musicjack

Each Mac can normally only "see" data in Time Machine for backups that have been made from that Mac......not another Mac. Your current Mac did not make the older backups that are still on the hard drive that contains the old backups.......so it cannot "see" them in a normal way.

This would be true even if the old Mac was using Mavericks and new Mac was using Mavericks as well.

There is a (long and complicated) way to see old backup files using the Finder on your Mac. "How" you do this depends on the method that was used to create the old backups.....whether the data is on a network drive, like a Time Capsule.....or on a normal external drive, like a USB or FireWire drive that is connected directly to a Mac.

If you want to try this, we can provide the steps......with no guarantee of success.....since Yosemite does not make this easy due to its own bugs.

We would need to know if the old backups are on a Time Capsule.....or.....on a drive that is connected directly to your Mac.

Jun 29, 2015 7:13 PM in response to musicjack

I would now like to start using Time machine on my Time Capsule for my MBA

That is fine.

What would happen to the Time machine backup of my MBP?

Nothing at all. The MBP will continue to back up just as it always has. Or, if you are saying that you have stopped backing up with the MBP, then the backups will remain on the Time Capsule.

Does it automatically get deleted?

No, you will have two Macs both backing up to the Time Capsule if you continue backing up the MBP. Time Machine will take care of everything for you, since it can easily handle 4-5 Macs all backing up to the same Time Capsule.

Jun 29, 2015 7:23 PM in response to musicjack

You can attach a USB hard drive to the Time Capsule and use AirPort Utility's Archive Function. This will make a complete copy of the data on the Time Capsule on the USB drive.

User uploaded file

Once that copy has completed, and you have verified that the old files are on the USB drive.......then......you can Erase the Time Capsule drive and start over

User uploaded file

Time machine copy of Mavericks for Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.