Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I change stretched videos on iMovie

I am uploading videos some of which have been shot using portrait, and therefore in iMovie they are stretched and I would like to get them back to the normal size even if it means having black lines on the sides.. please help

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 3:13 AM

10 replies

Jul 1, 2016 6:29 AM in response to GeeD

They are shot with a new iPhone in portrait orientation.

It's funny-- It seems like when you shoot something in portrait on iPhone you can edit it on iMovie on the phone itself just fine. But if you want to upload those videos so you can have the more advanced editing options you'd get from iMovie on a Mac, iMovie distorts the original portrait video by stretching and flattening it to landscape.

Shooting in landscape on the iPhone sometimes trims the views of the final video which is out of the option (incase you couldn't see clearly: these are olympic lifting videos used to send to a coach for technique feedback, so not having feet and arms in the frame at all times is not an option).

I'd like to continue shooting in portrait... Any suggestions?

how can I change stretched videos on iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.