Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro X Trial quitting unexpectedly when previewing titles

Hi,

I have a MacBook Pro Retina 13, 2015 model, 2.7Ghz, 8GB, 128GB base model, Irish/GB keyboard layout (not sure that matters), OS X 10.10.3

This is my second, as after 21 days the first one was replaced because it was deemed to be defective. However, the new model is exhibiting the exact same issues:

1. Final Cut Pro X Trial (10.2.1) crashes regularly.

2. Mail crashes every few days.

Troubleshooting efforts with Apple Support focused on FCP X so far because it is easy to replicate. If I open FCP X, click on "T" to view the titles, and preview the "Atmosphere" title (click to select "Atmosphere title, and scan back and forward to view the title preview), the machine becomes immediately unresponsive and the application will close within 5-10 seconds.

At the instruction of Apple technical support, I carried out disk error checks, reinstalled the OS twice, once without erasing and once with erase first, opened in "safe boot mode", and created test user accounts. In safe mode FCP X quits unexpectedly as soon as I open it.

I have installed the same FCP X Trial on a Mac Mini (2012) i7, 16GB, 1TB model, and it doesn't have this problem. However, at Apple technical support's request, I downloaded a fresh image of FCP X Trial in "safe boot mode" to and again it has the exact same issue.

Right now this case has been passed to a senior analyst and I have provided logs to Apple to have engineers look at it and get back to me. I'm forwarding all my crash logs to the analyst, and hoping that they can work something out, but int he meantime, is anyone else with a MacBook Pro 13 (2015) experiencing the same thing, or able to replicate the same thing? I have been told, by Apple, that this is probably a hardware issue, but since I am now on a second brand new computer, with identical specs and experiencing the same problem, I'm assuming that it is more likely to be a software/driver related issue. That's why I'm now reaching out here, to see if others are able to replicate the same issue.

The issue with Mail crashing every few days might be unrelated, but I mention it because I have been told this isn't normal either.

Thanks,

Peter

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Final Cut Pro X Trial 10.2.1

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 4:02 AM

7 replies

Jun 29, 2015 6:06 AM in response to innocentius

About This Mac tells me that there is 1536MB of VRAM, but this is dynamically allocated from system memory on the Iris integrated graphics, and I don't know how to know how much is actually being used. However, the Mac Mini has only 1024MB (also dynamically allocated), and it has no issue.

I didn't know anything about validating fonts, but I just did it they all passed. After running validate, same issue in FCP.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Jun 29, 2015 6:28 AM in response to innocentius

Repair disk and Repair Permission - check

Delete FCPX preferences - no didn't try this.... but.....

I have done a complete system reinstall, and completely reinstalled a fresh download of FCPX.

As for keeping media on an external hard drive, I haven't even gotten as far as working with media. It crashes as soon as I look at the title preview.

Jun 29, 2015 6:59 AM in response to innocentius

Just used prefman to trash the preferences, no difference.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

To be clear, I have had two brand new identical spec MacBook Pro Retina 13" models, and both have had exactly the same problem. That's why I ask if others can replicate this on their 2015 MBPR, as it might be a graphics driver issue or something else related to this model specifically.

Final Cut Pro X Trial quitting unexpectedly when previewing titles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.