Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to use Data Migration the following way?

I'm giving my MBA to my girlfriend. I'm the only user of my MBA now and then I'd like my girlfriend to be the only user of the MBA with administrative rights.

In order to avoid setting up my MBA all over again (delete everything and go back to Mountain Lion and so forth), the idea would be to create an account for my girlfriend and then delete my own account.

Problem is we need to migrate my girlfriend's data from another older MBA. Can I use Data Migration for this purpose and if so how to?

Thanks.

Note: if somebody comes up with a simpler way, your suggestions are very welcome too.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), september 2013, SSD 256

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 5:32 AM

10 replies

Jun 29, 2015 12:58 PM in response to belso

You should follow these steps.

Selling old Mac (4) Apple support

Once she gets the computer, she can boot and use Setup Assistant to migrate the data. Usually works better than Migration Assistant.

When you use Migration Assistant, it normally sets up a new account. Go to System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if a new account was setup. If so, log out and then log in using the new account. Check for what you are missing. If you find it, copy it to either the users Public folder or the hard drive/Users/Shared folder. While there, see if there is anything else. When complete, log out and log in the other user account and copy the data to your normal account. You can then delete the new account if desired.

Migration Assistant

Migration Assistant (2)

Migration Assistant – Tips and Tricks

If the 2 computers have the correct cable connections, try the Target Disk Mode.

Target Disk Mode - Mavericks

Target Disc Mode

Jun 29, 2015 2:28 PM in response to Eric Root

@Eric

Thanks Eric for your help.

However, I'm not quite clear about several points.

1. should i create her account on my MBA i'm planning to give her BEFORE migrating her data and apps?

2. you wrote: "When you use Migration Assistant, it normally sets up a new account."

do you mean I'm gonna be prompted to create a new account?

if so, I better create her account at that point (with the same credentials she has on her present MBA), right?

but right below, you wrote: "You can then delete the new account if desired".

it's the opposite i'd like to do: i'd like to delete my account so that she has only her account on the MBA i'm giving her.

3. Target Disk Mode

unfortunately her 2010 MBA has no Thunderbolt connection, we'll need to use a USB2 cable.

i read your Target Disk Mode link and Apple don't mention/recommend using a USB2 cable.

so I better not use Target Disk Mode and migrate via USB2, right?

Jun 29, 2015 5:58 PM in response to belso

First, you are not legally allowed to give, sell, transfer, convey, will, etc. the license for Yosemite. You must use Internet Recovery to partition the disk and reinstall the shipping OS. During the startup Assistant, she can choose to Migrate from her Mac. That will create the same account she has with all of her Apps.

She can then upgrade to Yosemite.

It is much better to let Migration Assistant create the account, not create the account and then try to migrate into it.

You can use any cable at your disposal that will work between the two Macs. There are thunderbolt to FW800 cables available.

Jun 29, 2015 6:09 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks Barney.

Oh yes, I had completely forgotten about legal requirements. That said we can be regarded as a "family" as far as Apple is concerned...

Anyway, thanks also for recommending Migration Assistant and to proceed the "traditional" way (which we have always done, but this time I wanted to make the transfer faster...).

Yes MA is certainly the most secure way and that's set, we'll use it.

Note: the 2010 MBA does not have a Thunderbolt port.

Jun 29, 2015 6:31 PM in response to belso

Note: the 2010 MBA does not have a Thunderbolt port.

Depending on the amount of data, you can use Ethernet (I'm not sure about USB), but as I mentioned, you can purchase a Thunderbolt to FW800 cable that will connect them both and allow you to use Target Disk Mode.

But, perhaps it is not worth the cost/time to acquire over just using USB or Ethernet. Oops, you mentioned Macbook Air. Maybe that's out of the question, too. WiFi??

Jun 30, 2015 8:41 AM in response to belso

belso wrote:

@Eric

Thanks Eric for your help.

However, I'm not quite clear about several points.

1. should i create her account on my MBA i'm planning to give her BEFORE migrating her data and apps?

2. you wrote: "When you use Migration Assistant, it normally sets up a new account."

do you mean I'm gonna be prompted to create a new account?

if so, I better create her account at that point (with the same credentials she has on her present MBA), right?

but right below, you wrote: "You can then delete the new account if desired".

it's the opposite i'd like to do: i'd like to delete my account so that she has only her account on the MBA i'm giving her.

3. Target Disk Mode

unfortunately her 2010 MBA has no Thunderbolt connection, we'll need to use a USB2 cable.

i read your Target Disk Mode link and Apple don't mention/recommend using a USB2 cable.

so I better not use Target Disk Mode and migrate via USB2, right?

1. No

2. Don't use Migration Assistant, use Setup assistant

3. Don't use Target Disk mode, just use Setup assistant, USB2 will work but will require some time

Is it possible to use Data Migration the following way?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.