Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to free up space by deleting photos in iphoto

my iMac is full up and old.

i have backed up my iPhoto of 28000 to picture keeper

can i make some space on hard drive by now deleting these from iMac iPhoto

I know i need a new iMac but delaying as long as possible mine is old white 2008 model

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 5:40 AM

5 replies

Jun 29, 2015 5:53 AM in response to ged56

Select the photos in Photos (where you posted - if this is truly about iPhoto then post back as it is a bit different) and press the delete key (or right click on the selection and use the delete "n" photos command) then under the file menu ==> recently deleted click delete now

And if you still have the iPhoto library you need to delete the same photos from iPhoto as the hard links keep the image on disk until all links are removed - or if you are positive you do not want it delete the iPhoto library (however I suggest you wait a while just in case you want of need it)

and you do still have iPhoto - it is in your applications folder - if you're not up to date (version 9.6.1) see Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS X 10.10.3

And never, ever do into the Photos library directly and delete anything using the finder - doing so will corrupt your library and cause data loss forcing you to go back to a backup or start over with a new library

LN

Jun 29, 2015 7:03 AM in response to LarryHN

SSorry is all about iPhoto had not realised there was a difference.

all photos are in iPhoto library and are backed up to picture keeper device and to laptop.

can I make space on iMac by deleting all 28,000 photos as iMac is basically old and knackered and disc is full

thank you for such a prompt reply

Jun 29, 2015 8:22 AM in response to ged56

Yes

If you want to delete all photos simply drag the iPhoto library to the trash and empty the trash - you can not undo this so be positive it is what you want

To selectively delete select the photos in events view and press the delete key - do not reorganize events before you empty the iPhoto trash and empty it every few hundred photos - sometimes having too large a =n iPhoto trash can cause problems - empty the iPhoto trash under the iPhoto menu ==> empty trash - then empty the system trash

LN

I need to free up space by deleting photos in iphoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.