Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to config a mac-mini for "hard" power off?

Im considering to buy a mac mini to connect to a homecinema-reciever for playing music with itunes.

The reciever has a current-sense plugbar attached, this means, if the reciever is turned on, all other devices get power, if reciever turned off, all other devices loose power, this works fine for tv, blue-ray and so...

But what happens if i run a mac, and plug out power? I guess do this often will destroy the operating system.

For power on, i have to push the button, but i dont want to.

So, is there a solution for :

1.) Configure "Turn on after Power Loss" like in Windows based BIOS ? If i plug in power, the Mac Mini should start..

2.) Configure a Mode, where it is not bad, to just remove power?

Thanks for you help

Mac mini

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 2:15 AM

6 replies

Jun 29, 2015 2:43 AM in response to sgt_johnny

Just powering down any computer instead of properly shutting down

is an accident waiting to happen. This can be especially true for the

hard disk drive. You could ease this issue by having a solid state drive

as there is nothing mechanical to "crash". Even at this, you are still rolling the dice.

Even though OS X has an option to reboot after power failure, this

really only meant for possibly recovering from a power failure.

Jun 29, 2015 2:52 AM in response to woodmeister50

Yes i know about this, i just wondered if there is anything to protect this.

Im not familiar with Mac Operating systems, but Windows has quit a few options for this, like Embedded, WriteFilter and stuff like this.

Schools often use something like this, they start the operating system in a protected way, like you can change all settings and stuff, and after a reboot everything is fine again. Its like starting the OS, and then make all changes only in RAM.

I think Apple has something like this too, because Ipad/Macs are often used for schools...

Jun 30, 2015 3:14 AM in response to sgt_johnny

sgt_johnny wrote:

Im not familiar with Mac Operating systems, but Windows has quit a few options for this, like Embedded, WriteFilter and stuff like this.

Schools often use something like this, they start the operating system in a protected way, like you can change all settings and stuff, and after a reboot everything is fine again. Its like starting the OS, and then make all changes only in RAM.

The purpose of these is that users cannot permanently change anything

on a computer and any attempt to do so will be lost when a system is rebooted.

It is not meant to recover from some physical/logical failure due to a powerdown

while running.

Jun 30, 2015 7:59 AM in response to woodmeister50

Just use a guest account instead of a normal user account. Then set the sleep option to log off the user.

Now whenever the Mac goes to sleep the guest user will be logged off, thus removing any changes or information. When you wake it from sleep, you will need to log back on with the guest account again, starting the whole thing over.

As others have pointed out, terminating the power as a means to shutdown the Mac is not a good idea. Nor do you seem to have a reason why it is needed.

Tom

Is it possible to config a mac-mini for "hard" power off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.