Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo Library - Reinstall from Time Machine

I have a 15k + library in which I've been using iCloud photos and had copies on my Mac that were being back up by Time Machine. I recently got rid of my previous Mac and am using a different one. I am in the process of doing a restore from Time Machine and am getting an error message. I recovered the library from Time Machine and when I open the Photos app it says "The library "Photos Library" has inconsistencies that must be repaired. I click on repair and once it goes through the process I get the message "Photos has attempted to repair the library "Photos Library", but is unable to open it. All of my photos/video are in sync via icloud.com and the photos app on my phone, but the app on my Mac is now not working and not being synced with the others. Thanks in advance.

Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 6:32 AM

19 replies

Jun 29, 2015 7:42 AM in response to hunter351

I recovered the library from Time Machine and when I open the Photos app it says "The library "Photos Library" has inconsistencies that must be repaired.

How did you "recover from Time Machine" ? Did you launch Time Machine and restored the library from the Star Wars display? And did you restore it to your internal drive or an external drive?

If the library is on an external drive, how is the drive connected and how is it formatted?

Jun 29, 2015 8:25 AM in response to hunter351

Photos has only this one Repair option. If that does not help, there is not much you can do to rescue the restored library. You could try to restore an earlier version, in the hope, that this version will be better.

All of my photos/video are in sync via icloud.com and the photos app on my phone, but the app on my Mac is now not working and not being synced with the others.

If all your photos are in iCloud, you could try to start with a new, empty Photos library and sync this library with iCloud. Photos will download all photos and albums, but the Faces data will be missing. DO you have a fast internet so this would be feasible for you?

This document describes what will be restored from iCloud to your Mac. It will be just like syncing to a different mac, see: Use Photos and iCloud Photo Library on multiple Mac computers - Apple Support

Jun 29, 2015 8:35 AM in response to hunter351

Once I open the Photos App, I get the Repair Library warning stating The library "Photos Library" has inconsistencies that must be repaired.

Even, when you hold down the alt/options key while launching Photos, and keep the key held down until you are seeing the Library Chooser panel?

This should let you create a new library.

Jun 29, 2015 8:47 AM in response to hunter351

Will this "new" library override the existing one?

In the Library Chooser panel click "Create New".

Pick a different name for the new library, so your existing library will be saved.

User uploaded file

It just creates a new one?

Yes.

And then it should automatically populate based on what I have via the cloud? Thanks for all of your help with this!

Once you see that the new, empty library works well, open the Preferences in Photos, and click the button "Use as System Photo Library" on the "General" tab of the preferences panel. Then enable iCloud Photo Library for this library in the iCloud pane of the preferences.

Only make sure, you have enough storage on your drive. You may need to move the old library to an external drive, if storage is an issue.

Jun 29, 2015 2:24 PM in response to léonie

Looks like it is slowly working. I have a 75/75 internet speed and it seems like it's still really slow. Am I able to close out of Photos and still have it downloading in the background, or does the app need to be open? I noticed my internet has been going in and out as well because of this. Is that normal? I also noticed that if I click on one of the pics thumbnails that it seems to speed up the download process, but I don't want to do that for each pic. Thanks again for your help!

Photo Library - Reinstall from Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.