Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google behaving strange in Safari but works fine in other browsers

For the past few weeks Google has been 'force searching' queries. For example, as I type, google instant will do it's job and pre load queries as I type, however recently searches have been selected and searched without me pressing enter meaning I have to reselect the search box to continue typing. I hope this makes sense! I get an error message below the search box reading 'google instant is unavailable' highlighted in yellow. I have disabled google instant and still have this problem.

I got fed up and begun using firefox which works fine. I also tried opera and chrome and neither have this search problem. I have run adware medic and that says my mac has no adware problems.

I am unsure what to try next so your help would be really appreciated!

Thanks.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014), iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 7:24 AM

1 reply

Jun 29, 2015 1:08 PM in response to aluu16

Might be a cookies, cache, extensions, or plug-ins issue. (You may have another plug-in or extension installed that's incompatible with Google Instant whether it's disabled or not).

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Privacy tab.

Click: Remove All Website Data

Then delete the cache.

Open a Finder window. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Click Go then move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that didn't help, from the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. Turn that OFF, quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that helped, turn one extension on then quit and relaunch Safari to test until you find the incompatible extension then click uninstall.

If it's not an extensions issue, try troubleshooting third party plug-ins.

Back to Safari > Preferences. This time select the Security tab. Deselect: Allow plug-ins. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that made a difference, instructions for troubleshooting plugins here.

Google behaving strange in Safari but works fine in other browsers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.