Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power Mac G5 2.5ghz was working and now won't boot up

Power Mac G5 2.5ghz was in storage for a year. Turned on yesterday and it booted up fine for about 5 mins then the grey window appeared and restarted the computer. Same thing happened. On the third attempt the screen had error logs appearing all over the screen almost like it pixelated the whole screen. Then the G5 froze. Restarted and now all I have is the fans revving up and down constantly and no power light on.

No led's are alight either.

Steps taken....

Cleaned out interior.

Replaced PRAM battery

Reset SMU and PRAM

Inserted OSX install disc and tried recovery...nothing.

Restarted and now the power light does not stay on but the fans constantly keep on revving up and down...

Even leaving it plugged in over night does nothing.

Also, one of the power supply fans (RHS) is not running.

This has been a very reliable Mac for the past 6 years up until now...

I need this to work as I have just purchased a s/h Canon W8200 Large format printer and it will only operate on older macs.

I do have a Macbook pro laptop and a Mac mini both are OSX Mavericks. I have updated all drivers for the printer and they are only PPC compatible.

If I could get the Canon printer working on Mavericks I wouldn't worry about the G5.

So here is my plight..any assistance from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance..

Jim

PowerMac, iOS 7

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 6:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 9:58 AM

Hi Jim,

I suspect some Capacitors have degraded over time or the dreaded Lead-free solder separation issue.

Might be cheaper to buy a used working G4 or G5.

5 replies

Jun 29, 2015 4:26 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for the reply.

I suspected there may be some corrosion from where the unit was stored, but unsure.

I looked at the RAM and one stick had corrosion all over it. So checked out all the capacitors on the topside of all PCB's.

No popped or twisted capacitors. the liquid inside the cooler doesn't make a swishing sound anymore but there are no leaks as far as I could see.

My next step was to check out eBay for another system.

Thanks again

Power Mac G5 2.5ghz was working and now won't boot up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.