Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP officejet 6500 709n utility no longer working

I think my issues happened after a recent iMac software update...the icon for the printer utility went from color to grey and white and no longer works. I can still print but the utility cannot load/work (get a red "not responding" message when going to "force quit" - need to force quit b/c it keeps trying without progress). Also, more recently the HP folder is no longer in my applications folder (see below re: when that happened)

iMac OS X Intel, version 10.6.8

HP officejet 6500 709n (AIO - printer, scanner, fax) connected via USB cable

I tried:

-confirmed there are no pending or unfinished print jobs

-confirmed there are no new software updates for iMac and then did the same for the HP printer/scanner/fax

-uninstalled printer and then reinstall it (that is when the HP folder disappeared from applications folder and didn't come back when I reinstalled the printer)

-did a "repair disc permissions" (steps from this site)

-reset the printing system (steps from this site)

Only other issues happening with my system...recently (after the print issue began, and I suspect having nothing to do with it) my sleep mode sometimes doesn't go to sleep, other times it wakes itself up in the middle of the night and other times it works great. Sometimes when I go to the apple icon and hit "sleep" there is a delay of a few minutes before it actually goes to sleep. I am the only one on computer, not on a network, have password protected wifi, suspect recent low battery of keyboard or maybe my older wireless mouse may be the cause of the sleep issues but don't know for sure.

suggestions? help? Many thanks!

imac, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 7:33 AM

3 replies

Jun 29, 2015 9:06 AM in response to Rudegar

thanks for your input. It didn't work...I hadn't done the hp site before. I did my prior reinstall by using the "+" so, after seeing your suggestion, I did go to the hp site for the latest shown as "HP officejet and photosmart full feature sofware and drivers - mac os x v 10.6" Went thru their process of installing and hit a roadblock...it again froze at the part of configuring the device. again I had a red message of "not responding" and had to force quit.

Any other thoughts??? I do now, once again, have the HP folder in my applications folder if that means anything. Nutshell: the utility is still not working and gets stuck in a non-responsive mode. The icon remains grey and white (I'm guessing when the issue is resolved that icon will go back to color)

Thanks

Jun 29, 2015 8:11 PM in response to 123pleasehelpme

UPDATE:

The sleep issues seem to be resolved - don't think they were related to the printer utility issue I'm seeking help for, but I wanted to update in case anyone has further suggestions about the printer utility.

To be clear...something happened after doing a software update for my iMac, not a software update for the printer. After doing the iMac updates the printer utility icon went grey and white, and no longer worked. Tried printer updates after that point without success.

Thoughts, suggestions? Anyone?

Thank you in advance.

HP officejet 6500 709n utility no longer working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.