Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error message "The required index.xml file is missing" when I try to open a pages document so I cannot open it. Any suggestions

I get an error message: "The required index.xml file is missing" when I try to open a pages document so cannot open it. Any suggestions?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 7:43 AM

7 replies

Jun 29, 2015 9:48 AM in response to Ralph9430

Hi Ralph, yes it is a Pages document. I have now spoken with Apple and resolved the issue.

The problem was that I had two versions of Pages. A new one in the Apps folder (and also showing on the dock) and an older one inside an iWorks 09 folder also in my Apps folder. Apparently this sometimes causes the problem I had. I dragged the old version into the trash bin and then dragged it back out again into the Apps folder and that seemed to solve the problem.

Jun 29, 2015 12:40 PM in response to DeltaP

Pages '09 documents use the internal index.xml file, and any release of Pages v5 does not. Try to open a Pages v5 document in Pages '09 and you get this error dialog. Quit Pages '09, and then just double-click on the same document to have it opened correctly by its owner — Pages v5.

Pages '09 v4.3 has 100+ features not found in Pages v5.5.3. You may have to go backward in version to move forward in functionality.

Apr 12, 2016 7:01 PM in response to VikingOSX

My issue was the same, only in "Numbers", Thank you VikingOSX. Your answer has resoved a very stressful situation with me. I worked for hours on a file that suddenly, for no reason dissappeared and I could not find it. PANIC MODE! Thanks to you, I can now access this file. Somehow my Numbers program upgraded to a newer version (unknown to me how this happened). When I continued in this new version, changes were no longer recognizable in the 09 version. My 09 version loads when I click on the icon in the program bar at the bottom of the screen. The 09 version does not recognize any new files or changes made in the new version. I've also found that If you go into "Finder", then Click on "Applications", then "Numbers", The newer Version (V3.6.1) Loads and you can access the file you've been working on. Also in "Applications" you can still access the 09 version in the "09 IWorks" folder. Hope this helps all the others who are in panik mode because of the loss of their painstakingly worked on files.

Error message "The required index.xml file is missing" when I try to open a pages document so I cannot open it. Any suggestions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.