Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to sum the products of nested IFs that are dependent on a checkbox

I have a row of values that if the student checks the tick box next to the number, I want each of values that has a its tick box checked to be multiplied by a cell and added to the total for the column. I thought I had it with this:

IF(G16=TRUE,D4×F4+IF(I16=TRUE,D4×H4,""))

but the problem is that it only works when all the tick-boxes are checked. What I need is that it works for whatever combination of tick boxes are selected as seen below.

the total cell at S4 shows the warning icon if I uncheck either the box for the highlighted 1,000 or 800 in F4 and H4

User uploaded file

Mac mini (Late 2012), iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 7:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 9:00 AM

Hi Todd,

It is unclear to me as to what cell your formula is coming from but it is clear that the syntax is wrong.

IF(if-expression,if-true,if-false)

IF(G16, D4xF4,0)+IF(I16,D4xH4,0)

This will take care of two of your checkboxes.

The set up of your table is contributing to your difficulties. There are times when we need a certain set up and this may be one of them.

I am trying to understand if SUMIF() may help you here. If you are always multiplying by D4, it may.

Here is an example of SUMIF() totaling a column referencing checkboxes. Maybe it will help.

User uploaded file

You could easily multiply the result by a cell value.

quinn

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2015 9:00 AM in response to Todd Lichtenwalter1

Hi Todd,

It is unclear to me as to what cell your formula is coming from but it is clear that the syntax is wrong.

IF(if-expression,if-true,if-false)

IF(G16, D4xF4,0)+IF(I16,D4xH4,0)

This will take care of two of your checkboxes.

The set up of your table is contributing to your difficulties. There are times when we need a certain set up and this may be one of them.

I am trying to understand if SUMIF() may help you here. If you are always multiplying by D4, it may.

Here is an example of SUMIF() totaling a column referencing checkboxes. Maybe it will help.

User uploaded file

You could easily multiply the result by a cell value.

quinn

How to sum the products of nested IFs that are dependent on a checkbox

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.