Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I use keyboard strokes to force a MacBook Pro to shut down please?

1) My MacBook crashes sometimes, (Kernal Trap or Spinlock aquisition time out problem). Can I fix this> ???

2) When it crashes, how do I use keyboard strokes to force it to shutdown?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 11:32 AM

Hold down the POWER key for 10+ seconds. That will shut the MBP off.

If your MBP is having kernel panics, use these instructions to log and post it:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201753

Ciao.

4 replies

Jul 6, 2015 7:41 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thanks! I was doing that with the Power button, but I was worried that it wasn't the right thing to do.

I'll work on the kernal panic, it seems to be totally random, even when it's just sitting doing nothing before screen saver starts.

I took it to a local Mac repair shop, with about 20 crash reports saved, some months ago, they said they couldn't find the fault nor fix it. . .

Are they out-to-lunch on that one?

lexi

Jul 6, 2015 8:00 AM in response to Leppinart

Some kernel panic reports are very easy to decipher, others are not. I have yet to see even some of the most experienced participants on these forums be able to determine with 100% accuracy what has initiated all kernel panic reports. One would think that there should be some guidelines from Apple on this, but I have not seen any.

Ciao.

How do I use keyboard strokes to force a MacBook Pro to shut down please?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.