Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mailbox disappeared

Moving email into one of my Mailboxes, when the whole Mailbox disappeared. When I search in Mail it shows at the bottom of the search list under sub heading Mailbox, and clicking on it shows all the mail enclosed. I cannot however find the mailbox Folder within the Main Mailbox. Where can it have gone, and/or how do I find it?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 10:16 AM

7 replies

Jul 1, 2015 10:24 AM in response to johnmd50

Not a rude reply, I was just asking hoping the simplest fix was tried.

Try re-indexing the mailboxes. This can take awhile if you have a lot of mail.

Reindex messages

Another check.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library/Mail/V2. Does the mailbox show there? If not, try restoring from your backup.

Jul 2, 2015 2:29 AM in response to Eric Root

Thank you again for your quick reply. I tried the search option first, and all my sub folders do appear in the Finder window, but not under Mailbox, but a sub folder of that Mailbox.mbx. All that is except the missing one. Having looked at the Re-index guide, I confess I am a little reluctant, as I have many hundreds of emails filed across approx 25 sub folders, and it would be an impossible task to re-index then all myself it it put them all in one big folder.

By way of further detail, when I do the search in Mail, the missing Mailbox appears at the bottom of the search under a heading Mailbox. When I click this, all (at least a lot, I can't be sure it is all of them!) the emails appear with the correct Mailbox details included. The Mail Folder on the left highlighted at this point is one of four email accounts, under Inbox. When I click away from that Inbox folder and back again, it shows everything else BUT the emails from the missing Mailbox. So they are in there, but I can't find them on their own. I guess an option would be to create a new Mailbox and put all the mail back in, but my concern there is I may not have captured them all?

Jul 2, 2015 10:07 AM in response to Eric Root

I do have Time Machine Backups, although I only do them every month or so (as I don't keep attached to my iMac permanently to ensure if Machine stolen - and we have been burgled in the past - then I have isolated backup to put on new machine). That said I think a month old copy of this Folder may well be sufficiently up to date, so could you therefore clarify if I can restore just one Mailbox from the Time Machine Backup. I suspect an Apple search may reveal response, but your guidance may be a bit clearer!. Thanks again

mailbox disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.