Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

text messages coming via email address

Having an issue with an iphone 5 imessages. All text messages sent are being rec'd by others via my email and not from my phone number. Imessages are not working. Phone was recently updated and sync to my computer. I went into messages, Send & Receive. The only option showing is my email address. Will not allow me to choose my phone number. Please help!

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 10:08 AM

1 reply

Jul 1, 2015 10:21 AM in response to mtwalker06

Hi mtwalker06,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that your phone number is not an option under Settings > Messages and that your iMessages are being sent by your email address, not your phone number. Is the phone number visible but grayed out as shown in the attached article below?

iOS and OS X: Link your phone number and Apple ID for use with FaceTime and iMessage - Apple Support

If it is grayed out, this is normal. Make sure that the section under that “Start new conversations from” has your phone number selected.

If your phone number is missing completely as you say, tap on your Apple ID under Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and sign out. After signing out, sign back in and verify that your phone number is showing. Please let me know if the issue continues.

Best regards,

Joe

text messages coming via email address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.