Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change the library save location to my external hard drive on final cut pro?

I have a Macbook Air, and I've been making videos on Final Cut Pro. Problem is that it's been taking up a large amount of space on my internal hard drive. So I bought an external hard drive for my Mac hoping that I could just have it so that everything saves on it as opposed to my computer. Does anyone know how I could change my settings on FCP so that everything saves on there instead? Thanks so much 🙂

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 10:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 10:32 AM

When you create a new library, you are presented with a save dialog. For an existing library, move it in the Finder. Since you're moving to to anew drive, it will copy it. First test the new library projects and then delete \the old one.

Russ

4 replies

Jun 29, 2015 10:53 AM in response to Burgie_0713

When you open FCP X, by default it will open any libraries that were open the last time you used it - so, if the original library, in your system drive, is still there, that is the one you'd still be using.

You can close that library and open the copy on the external drive. Like Russ said, make sure everything works before you delete the old one - which brings me to another point: backup...

How do I change the library save location to my external hard drive on final cut pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.