Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

detach / decouple clips on the timeline ?

Again, newbie to FCPX here. I have added a video clip to an existing timeline and am trying to move a segment/sequence from one area of the time line to the other. I've used the razor to make cuts, but somehow the original video segment has attached itself to the original audio and the new video segment, and I cannot move one without all 3 moving. What am I doing wrong? I've tried to look for a way to detach them or decouple them, but I can't find a way to do it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHqj3e0urs4

TIA,

JEff

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 2013 6 Core

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 10:32 AM

Fundamental law of FCPX: everything in the project is connected to something on the primary storyline.

So how do you do what you want? You can either connect the two connected items to something else on the primary that's not moving. Opt-Cmd-Click on the connected clip to change the pin point. Or you can lift the clip on the primary out of the primary and replace it with a gap clip. Opt-Cmd-up arrow to lift from the storyline. You can then move that clip to wherever you want.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2015 10:32 AM in response to Jefferis Peterson

Fundamental law of FCPX: everything in the project is connected to something on the primary storyline.

So how do you do what you want? You can either connect the two connected items to something else on the primary that's not moving. Opt-Cmd-Click on the connected clip to change the pin point. Or you can lift the clip on the primary out of the primary and replace it with a gap clip. Opt-Cmd-up arrow to lift from the storyline. You can then move that clip to wherever you want.

detach / decouple clips on the timeline ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.