Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"speak selected text when the key is pressed" doesn't work in numbers

>>> When I actuate CTRL + ESC there's no voice but I get a system 'boink' after about a second or two. This problem is only in Numbers (3.5.3.)

>>> It's on both of my macs (a 2010 MBP and a 2012 iMac, both running 10. 10. 3)

>>> It persists when I've changed the shortcut (I don't think it's a shortcut clash)

>>> Speech works in the Command Line and in System Preferences in the bit where you get to change the voices.

>>> The shortcut does produce speech in other apps (just now, MS Excel, Pages & TextEdit).

>>> It's intermittent, though in a way that's hard to make any realistic sense of the problem. It's not intermittent in that it'll cycle between working and working every minute or so: It's intermittent in that it works some days and not others.

>>> The original Numbers files are usually (certainly today) in iCloud but the problem persists if I save to my local drive.

Any ideas please?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 11:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 5:20 PM

If you want to to hear the contents of a cell, you have to enter text edit mode (double click the cell), then select all the text in the cell. The easiest way to enter text edit mode and select all the text is to triple click the cell. Now select the menu item "Edit > Speech > Start Speaking"

12 replies

Jul 1, 2015 3:24 AM in response to Wayne Contello

Thanks Wayne & SGIII - I seem to have missed that and your suggestion does work for me: The cell contents become highlighted and speaking works both via the Menu or via the Shortcut. Perfect.

Here's the 'but': I can't get any more than a single cell's contents to be read allowed, which makes it of little use to me. If I try to triple click multiple cells those cells contents never become highlighted; neither is the Edit → Start Speaking option available (it's greyed out). I've tried a few other things like selecting the content of a single cell, making it blue and dragging down but the highlight disappears.

By way of some background, I want to get the cells of a columns of numbers read back to me so that I can double check that I keyed the numbers into Numbers correctly from a piece of paper. I thought that I'd got this to work in the past but I might be mistaken about this and thinking of MS Excel, which does this read aloud multiple cells quite happily.

So, my question is probably better refined as "speak selected text in multiple cells when the key is pressed doesn't work in numbers". Am I missing something or is this a missing feature of Numbers?

Thanks again both 🙂

Jul 1, 2015 4:12 AM in response to Seabeethree

Hi Seabeethree,

A rather clunky workaround, but do it once and Save As Template.

User uploaded file

Formula in Footer Cell B8

=B2&","&B3&","&B4&","&B5&","&B6&","&B7

(The commas insert pauses, I think. A bit hard to test.)

Copy B8, click in B9 and Menu > Edit > Paste Formula Results. That makes it easier to triple click B9 to select all the text.

Menu > Edit > Speech > Start Speaking

It would be good to make the pauses longer, but double commas don't seem to do that.

Regards,

Ian.

Jul 1, 2015 5:31 AM in response to Seabeethree

Hi Seabeethree,

This might speak with a better tempo. The row number is spoken, so you can "catch up" if you get distracted,

User uploaded file

Formula in C2 (and Fill Down)

="Row"&" "&ROW(B2)&", "&B2&", "

Concatenate in C8 might be a little easier than in my previous reply

=CONCATENATE(C2,C3,C4,C5,C6,C7)

Save As Template.

Copy C8 and Paste Formula Results into C9.

Regards,

Ian.

Jul 1, 2015 6:21 AM in response to Seabeethree

Hello

Here's a way to accomplish what you want by means of AppleScript script, which may be run via Automator service.

You may create an Autamotr service as follows.

Service properties:

- Service receives [no input] in [Numbers.app]

- [NOT CHECKED] Replaces selected text

Run AppleScript action:

- Code is as follows

_main() on _main() tell application "Numbers" tell document 1 tell (sheet 1 whose tables's selection range's class contains range) tell (table 1 whose selection range's class = range) if not (exists) then return tell selection range set rr to cells's value end tell end tell end tell end tell end tell set t to _join(rr, ",,") say t return t end _main on _join(tt, d) (* list tt : source list string d : separator return string : tt joined with d *) local astid0, t try set {astid0, AppleScript's text item delimiters} to {AppleScript's text item delimiters, {} & d} set t to "" & tt set AppleScript's text item delimiters to astid0 on error errs number errn set AppleScript's text item delimiters to astid0 error errs number errn end try return t end _join

Resulting service workflow will look something like this. (Syntax colouring will be different)

User uploaded file

Service will be saved in ~/Library/Services.

To use it, select target range in Numbers document and invoke the service via Numbers > Services menu. You may also define a keyboard shortcut for the service via System Preferences.app.

Briefly tested with Numbers v2 under OS X 10.6.8.

Good luck,

H

Jul 2, 2015 6:19 AM in response to Yellowbox

Thanks - Yes, I can get Hiroto's AS to work nicely from the AS Editor. I'm using Numbers 3.5.3. and Mac OS 10.10.4.

For some inexplicable reason, I can't save the script in Automator as a Service though. I select Service when creating the new Automator file but when I save it, it's a Workflow not a Service. :-S

BTW, I noticed that you can create an audio file of multiple cell contents in Numbers...then listen to it. Slightly circuitous but maybe good for the feint hearted.

Thanks for your help everyone!

User uploaded file

Jul 2, 2015 7:47 AM in response to Seabeethree

Seabeethree wrote:

For some inexplicable reason, I can't save the script in Automator as a Service though. I select Service when creating the new Automator file but when I save it, it's a Workflow not a Service. :-S

A Service has a .workflow extension. In Finder hold down the option key and in the menu Go > Library > Services. It should be in that folder. If it's somewhere else you can move it into that folder via Finder and it should show up in the Number > Services menu. Be sure in Automator that you selected 'No input' and 'Numbers.app' before saving.

SG

Jul 2, 2015 7:58 AM in response to Seabeethree

Hi Seabeethree,

This has really got me intrigued. I especially like Hiroto's idea of announcing "missing value" for blank cells.

New, improved version in Numbers

User uploaded file

In Table 1, I had to break the process down into small steps (I had trouble with combining the steps into a single, complex formula).

Formula in C2 ="Row"&" "&ROW(B2)&", "

Formula in D2 =IF(B2="","missing value, ",B2&", ")

Formula in E2 =C2&D2

Table 2

Formula in B1 =CONCATENATE(Table 1::E2,Table 1::E3,Table 1::E4,Table 1::E5,Table 1::E6,Table 1::E7)

and so on for a longer Table 1. Don't type cell references; use 'point and click' on a cell, then type a comma.

Interesting that we don't need to triple click to select all text in B2. Two clicks to put the cursor in that cell, then Menu > Edit > Speech > Start Speaking.

Hiding the intermediate steps (Columns C, D, E of Table 1):

User uploaded file

Posting now before time-out...

Regards,

Ian

Jul 3, 2015 1:57 AM in response to SGIII

Oh thanks. So Service is actually a Workflow that behaves differently by dint of its living in the Services folder. I didn't know that's all it was.

When I save a Workflow from Automator, I'm forced to keep them in the Automator folder in iCloud - I see no way to save locally (Services folder or anywhere else local). Moving the Workflow from iCloud to the local Services folder after the initial save worked perfectly well for me: The Service is available now in Numbers.

So it looks as though Otto the Automator needs to be able to override the save-to-iCloud thing when it applies to Services...or, better still, Services could live in iCloud and be used on different machines and Mac OS could use Services from the iCloud.

Ok - thanks, I'd better get back to my bean counting now!

"speak selected text when the key is pressed" doesn't work in numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.