Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Viber update deleted all my messages and call history

I updated my VIber to the newest version (5.4.1) and once I opened Viber, all of my messages and call history were gone! I didn't delete and reinstall the app, I just updated it on my iPhone 5. I tried data recovery software but it doesn't work. Does anyone know what to do so I can recover my lost messages?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3, Viber app

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 12:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 12:18 PM

Exactly the same problem here. I was in the middle of using Viber when the app downloaded itself again. It then prompted me to request a new activation code before I could get into it. Once I was back in, all my chats were gone. iPhone Data Recovery can find nothing on the 'phone.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3, Viber 5.4.1

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2015 12:18 PM in response to freekidolphinz

Exactly the same problem here. I was in the middle of using Viber when the app downloaded itself again. It then prompted me to request a new activation code before I could get into it. Once I was back in, all my chats were gone. iPhone Data Recovery can find nothing on the 'phone.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3, Viber 5.4.1

Jul 1, 2015 12:40 AM in response to delphica

Hi, I also had exactly the same experience yesterday, in identical circumstances to those outlined by David Cowling and freekidolpinz.

I also emailed Viber and they initially said nothing could be done. I persisted and have received the following response, which I'm yet to try:

"We have been working hard to find a solution for our users; we are now testing a possible solution that may allow you to retrieve some of the messages on your account if you have performed an iTunes back up before Viber updated to version 5.4.1.

Unfortunately, this procedure may not work if you backed up your phone via iCloud instead of iTunes, or if you did not back up your device at all.

If you backed up your phone via iTunes, please try the following:

1. Disable automatic updates on your device before attempting to restore your iTunes back up (so Viber does not update back to Viber 5.4.1)
  2. Make sure you have backed up your data via iTunes before the 28th June (i.e before Viber 5.4.1 was released).
  3. Restore your phone from the back up. If you’re not sure how to do that, please see this link: https://support.apple.com/en-il/HT204184

Please let us know if restoring Viber to version 5.4 (or earlier) via iTunes restored your messages to your account.
If so, please do not update to Viber 5.4.1 for the time being.

If you did not create a recent back up of iTunes, I’m afraid there is currently no other way to restore these messages.

Best regards,
Amie B.
Supervisor
Viber Support Team
Quick question?"

Viber update deleted all my messages and call history

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.