Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error Invalid +1 (1) (216) 116-11

Suddenly I am unable to text one person who is in my address book,phone number is entered correctly (10 digit) and he can text me. However each time I try to text back or start a new message, I get the above error message back with the above number and message (number) Error Invalid Number. Please re-send using a valid 10 digit mobil number or valid short code.

I have deleted the message and contact, re-entered the contact and get the same message. I even deleted contact and message, and the turn off my phone, then re-entered same error. Any suggestions?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 11:33 AM

10 replies

Jul 7, 2015 2:21 PM in response to CfromHillsborough

I have this problem too, and it is just to one contact. This problem just started two weeks ago and out of the blue. My carrier is At&t and the contact this happens with is with Sprint (Galaxy phone). Like you, I deleted the contact, re-entered it, turned off all my iMessage accounts on all my other apple devices, took my phone to the At&t store and nothing works. I still can't text this person.. the only way I can text them is by using brackets [,], where the area code parentheses are at. Its so annoying and no one seems to be able to fix it.

Jul 30, 2015 11:00 AM in response to CfromHillsborough

I have been working on this for two months and I finally figured it out. I deleted all text and call history and the contact like everyone had suggested, but it still didn't work. I saw two new suggestions, one that made no sense and one that did, and I tried them both and it worked, so I don't know which one of the steps actually made it work. After I cleared all of the text and call history I cleared out the Safari history: Settings > Safari> Clear History and Wedsite Data. After that i reset the phone by holding down the home and power button together until the phone shut off. After a minute or so I turned it back on and entered the 10 digit phone number, with the area code, into the text message screen and it worked. I also noticed that it sent a text message to an existing contact that I was having the problem with before and I didn't have to remove their number or the history. Hopefully this helps every one who has been beating their head against the wall as much as I have!

Nov 5, 2015 2:42 PM in response to CfromHillsborough

A Solution:

I work ATT Tech support, why after 3 IOS versions they have not fixed this yet is mind boggling but anyhow, i have a fix that works every-time iv used it for people. Go to Notes app> Type out the persons number, EX: 123-456-7892 but without the dashes 1234567892 and change the last number to a letter. EX: 7892 changes to 789A aka 123456789A

Then select and copy that number/letter combo> Go to that persons contact and edit out there number and replace it with this Via paste(you can't enter Letters into the contact directly so you have to use notes to change the number this way)

After that just send a message to that persons contact name.

So contact John will have a phone number of 123456789A and i will send a message to John.

If the last number of the contact is:

2 then you can change it to A or B or C EX 9999999992 = 999999999A Or 999999999B Or 999999999C

3 = D Or E Or F

4 = G Or H Or I

5 = J Or K Or L

6 = M Or N Or O

7 = P Or Q Or R Or S

8 = T Or U Or V

9 = W Or X Or Y Or Z

If there number ends in 1 then i have no fix for that, will have to wipe the phone or use a 3rd party app as i don't think apple will ever patch this -_-

Error Invalid +1 (1) (216) 116-11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.