Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How is a screen split in Numbers

How is a screen split in Numbers so that only half the screen scrolls

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 12:25 PM

11 replies

Jun 29, 2015 5:35 PM in response to t quinn

Are you talking about splitting the screen the way you can in Excel? Numbers doesn't have that feature. Unlike Excel, which tends to be organized in one big grid that sometimes needs to be split, Numbers is organized around smaller, discrete tables on a canvas. Each table can have up to 5 Header Rows that can (if you select Freeze Header Rows in the menu) stay on screen when you scroll the table up, and 5 Header Columns that can stay on screen (if you freeze header columns) as you scroll a table left.

SG

Nov 19, 2015 10:15 AM in response to SGIII

Two features that have been requested for years to be included in Numbers are the ability to allow Split Screen (not talking about the multitasking "split screen" now available in El Capitan) & an unlimited number of Freeze Rows & Columns, which have always been limited to just 5. Although there are advantages of having tables in canvas form, there are times when the design of the sheet needs to have visible certain tables at the top at all times.

Freezing headers in those top tables doesn't help much when those tables must be visible (stay stationary) while scrolling through lengthy rows in a table below where entries are regularly made. This is why both Split Screen, and unlimited Freeze Headers need to be incorporated into Numbers.

For those who do not have such complex designs and/or needs in their spreadsheets, this would not be an issue. But for those of us who would like to get away from Excel, and Open/Libre Office, this would make it much more possible to do so.

In God's Harmony

Nov 19, 2015 12:55 PM in response to SGIII

Have been doing so for many years, not just this particular issue.

I have also been a software tester for iterations of OS and iOS, along with various applications through the years.

From my experience, unless there is a significant number of feedback for a specific issue, AND it is included in other major websites that specifically discuss Apple issues, don't expect changes to come quickly, if at all. As has been repeatedly mentioned over the years in these user forums, this is a peer-to-peer help.

But I don't include myself in the group that criticizes those who also need to vent, so long as it is brief and they are willing to accept to try advice that may lead to a solution to their problem, and understand that at times, there is no solution do to the coding and specific functions of any given OS and/or application.

Nov 19, 2015 1:57 PM in response to rawsaxy

rawsaxy wrote:

Don't take this the wrong way, but I do know how to submit feedback.

Of course. It's just that on this issue there really isn't anything your fellow users here on this forum can do except post a reminder of the convenience of submitting feedback to Apple as possibly a more efficient way of getting the word to them than tacking comments onto an old thread here.

(For what it's worth I too at times would like to have a split screen within the app, or to have more than one window open on the same document. In Excel, with its big "sea" of cells on a sheet, I've found that indispensable. In Numbers it is missed but has seemed less critical, perhaps because of the ease of creating smaller discrete tables and placing them wherever needed, on the same sheet or in another one.)

SG

How is a screen split in Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.