Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp partition resizing issue

Using boot camp I tried to resize my windows partition. I created a usb containing windows download and Apple tools needed via boot camp and deleted the old partition (or so I thought), then the problems began. When boot camp asked me to move the divider to set the windows partition size it still showed my old partition. I thought no big deal and moved the divider to the new size and clicked install. After a few seconds (and a little progress showing on the progress bar) I get an error stating disk could not be partitioned. As I stated earlier when I get to the create a partition step in boot camp it still shows the old windows partition, but if I look in disk utility there is no windows disk. Anybody know whats up with this?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 12:28 PM

5 replies

Jun 29, 2015 12:45 PM in response to macadummy

Did you attempt to remove the old partition with Disk Utility or with Boot Camp Assistant. If you used the former, then you have corrupted the boot block information making your OS X the only partition on the drive that will work. Boot Camp Assistant no longer can manage the partitions until you repartition the entire drive from scratch. Boot Camp only manages the startup disk.

There really are only two alternatives: repartition the drive and start from scratch; or, purchase a third-party utility that may be able to fix things (no guarantee.) It's Camptune X 10.4.

Jun 29, 2015 1:14 PM in response to Kappy

I did not use disk utility to remove the old partition I used boot camp. After I began having problems I was looking at boot camp FAQ's and it had some reference to disk utility it was then that I checked disk utility and discovered that the windows partition did not exist there. Since I did not remove the partition using disk utility do you still think your solutions are the only way to go?

Boot Camp partition resizing issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.