Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac mini (late 2005) how to hookup to internet?

Hi there , just came across a nice mac mini , one of the very first to come out at a garage sale

. it obviously does not have wifi capabilities. But are there some other solution?

I do not have access to a CAT cord, but i do have a phone line, which i see the mac mini does have a hook-up for, but i wonder if that is for dial up only and not compatible with today internet hookup.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 11:38 AM

12 replies

Jun 29, 2015 11:48 AM in response to Neenerdy

Ethernet cords are $5 at your favorite local electronics store.

According to the link below your mini has an ethernet connection. (take a photo of the back of the Mac and post it in your next reply for confirmation)

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac_mini_g4_1.25.html#macsp ecs2

Just a warning, because the MacOS version is so old, some websites and web browsers probably won't work well with your system.

It may be better to save up and buy a Mac from 2010 (or newer)

Jun 29, 2015 12:47 PM in response to Neenerdy

What Mini

How to identify Mac mini models - Apple Support

In early Minis wifi and a modem were optional.

Open system profiler/system information (which depends upon the OS on the Mac) and go to Network>Wifi and see if wifi card is installed. For how to get to system profiler/System information see:

OS X: About System Information and System Profiler - Apple Support

You can get a USB wifi adopter. Make sure it works with 10.5.8.

Look over the ones listed here:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/wireless/

Jun 29, 2015 1:22 PM in response to Neenerdy

My Mac mini is 1.25GHz powerPC G4 (sorry i thought that i already included in my previous post)

512MB (for now,i was going to drop a 2GB ram card into it , i called apple and that is the max they will install.)

I do have a wifi dongle , but it is most likely not Compatable with my OS. When I look in the network settings it says that it can only do ethernet , dial up and firewire.

I also have a 1Terabyte HD that goes between all my other Macs, that is hooked to it.

so do you think that it is not compatible with yosimitie? what OS could i update it to that would be the newest and most Optimal for this model.

Jun 29, 2015 1:28 PM in response to Neenerdy

Neenerdy wrote:

As i said before, i do not have access to a CAT (ethrenet) port in my wall. so that is out of my options.... and i got the mac mini free, and it functions fine so far. no reason to throw something out , just because its older. i can update it to yosimite , but need internet.

You can't update it to Yosemite, maybe Lion but you need Internet to get Lion

mac mini (late 2005) how to hookup to internet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.