Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can someone explain how to play audiobooks on an Ipod Touch?

I feel like an idiot, but I can't figure out how to play audiobooks on my Ipod Touch. I have had a number of Nano's for the last couple of years and have had no problems playing audible files (.aax) and regular audio book files (.mpb). However, my Nano died today and they were out of stock so I purchased a Touch instead.

I can't find any app on the Ipod Touch that plays my audiobooks. The IBooks app only opens up the Itunes Store page. Must I download a third-party app to play my audiobooks or am I missing something?

Any help is greatly appreciated...

kagoka

iPod touch, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 1:22 PM

6 replies

Jun 30, 2015 2:07 AM in response to lllaass

The files play perfectly in itunes and on my old Ipod Nano. The problem is not a file format problem, it has to do with what apps are included on the touch by default. On the nano there is a music player app, a podcast player app and an audiobook player app. On the touch there is a music app and a podcast app but I can't find an audiobook app.

If I download a third party app from the Itunes Store, I can play my audio books. My question is howeverr if there is an "Apple standard" way of playing audiobooks? That is, without downloading a third party app, how do I play audiobooks on my Touch?

regards

Sep 10, 2015 6:22 PM in response to Kip Wylie

If you are using 6rh gen, you have to change your Audiobooks to Music. In ITunes on your computer, highlight all the files for a particular audiobook. Right click on one of the highlighted lines and choose Get Info. Of the headings that show, choose Options. Click on the up-and-down arrows by Audiobook and select Music. Be sure to also check Remember Playback Position as well as Skip When Shuffling. You will regret it if you don't.

You will now be able to play audio books through the Music icon. It's not so elegant, from my view, as in the earlier generations, but do-able.

This simplification of the audio player may be in reaction, by Apple, to the reality that many Audiobook files are acually MP3 if downloaded from an electronic source. If I copy an audiobook from disc onto my computer, I convert it to MP3 before I pull it into ITunes. ITunes,natively, translates MP3s as music (in my experience), so the user has to go into the files and change them to Audiobooks. Apple likely got tired of "How do I" and "Why should I". For people like me (a librarian) I'd like them separated, but if Apple does not offer that option. all I can say is "Well, alrighty then" and follow what they do. Unless I want a 3rd Party app.

Can someone explain how to play audiobooks on an Ipod Touch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.