Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes will not open

I have a new mac, but iTunes will not open.

Any suggestions?

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 2:26 PM

10 replies

Jun 30, 2015 6:50 AM in response to JOLYLA

Apple Support has given the following instructions to others who had a similar problem.

First, back up all data.

Select the iTunes icon in the Applications folder and open the Info window. Click the padlock icon in the lower right corner to unlock the settings.

In the Sharing & Permissions section, change the Privilege setting for each Name in the list to Read & Write. Close the window. If the settings aren't visible, click the disclosure triangle on the left so that it points down.

You should now be able to drag the iTunes application to the Trash and empty. Your iTunes data won't be affected.

Click the iTunes link at the top of this page, download the Installer package and run it.

Jun 30, 2015 8:02 AM in response to dstroud

I very much doubt the upgrade files on a remote server are preventing iTunes from working on the computer. I haven't upgraded iTunes since 2007 and nothing has ever stopped it from working. 🙂

I would, however, just wait another 2 seconds at this stage until the new version becomes available on Apple's site and try that (unless you think you are better off with iTunes 12).

iTunes will not open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.