Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleScript and Numbers

Howdy fellow Apple comrades,

I'm putting together a Numbers script and am setting the background of some of the cells, but I can't for the life of me figure out the RGB numbers that they're asking for. I know it's a scale of 0 to 65535 but when I'm looking at color scales, most RGB go from 0 to 255, or other places give me the hex value. What scale is this? How can I assign the colors?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 12:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 12:38 PM

Add one to the number, multiply or divide by 256, subtract one, and if necessary, discard the remainder.

256 by 256 is 65536; the larger scale gives more accurate colors.

(129464)

4 replies

Jun 29, 2015 4:22 PM in response to david.lski

Although the question has been answered, here is an AppleScript that you run separately. It allows you to pick a color, converts that to RGB16 triplet color, and its hex value too. I have added the ability to display this RGB16 and Hex value in a dialog. You can select/copy/paste right from the dialog.

Copy and paste the following into your AppleScript Editor, compile, run and test. Then save it initially as a text (*.applescript) file, and then separately as a clickable application to your desktop or dock.

I have placed the attribution link at the beginning of the script.

Code:

-- StefanK: http://macscripter.net/viewtopic.php?pid=95047

property hexList : "0123456789ABCDEF"

set defaultHex to "#FFFFFF"

set r to ""

set g to ""

set b to ""

if defaultHex starts with "#" then

try

set chosenColor to choose colordefault colorHex8toRGB16(defaultHex)

-- logchosenColor

set {r, g, b} to items of chosenColor

set rgb16Value to "{" & r & ", " & g & ", " & b & "}"

on error

return

end try

set hexValue to RBG16toHex8(chosenColor)

-- loghexValue

end if

display dialog "RGB 16: " & tab & rgb16Value & return & " Hex:" & tab & "#" & hexValue

return

to RBG16toHex8(AppleRGB16)

set hexString to ""

repeat with primary in AppleRGB16

set hexString to hexString & character (primary div 4096 + 1) of hexList & character (primary div 256 mod 16 + 1) of hexList

end repeat

return hexString

end RBG16toHex8

--

to Hex8toRGB16(htmColor) -- format #xxxxxx

set RGB16 to {}

repeat with i from 2 to 6 by 2

set end of RGB16 to ((((offset of htmColor's character i in hexList) - 1) * 16) + (offset of htmColor's character (i + 1) in hexList) - 1) * 257

end repeat

return RGB16

end Hex8toRGB16

Jun 30, 2015 1:16 PM in response to david.lski

I'm lazy and don't like to do lots of math....🙂

So to get the rgb values that Numbers accepts via AppleScript I just use this in Script Editor:

set myRgb to choose color

After I've made my pick, I get a list in the Result pane that looks something like this: {64720, 17976, 19514}

Then (having addressed the document, sheet, and table as usual), I set the background color with a statement like this:

set cell "D3"'s background color to {64720, 17976, 19514}

And if I already have a Numbers cell prettied up with the background color I want, I select it and use this script like an "dropper" to capture the rgb values for use in scripts.

--get background color of a Numbers cell (if none returns 'missing value')

tell application "Numbers" to tell front document

set t to active sheet'stable 1 whose selection range'sclass is range

set bkgrRgb to t'sselection range'scell 1's background color

--> e.g. {64720, 17976, 19514}

end tell

SG

AppleScript and Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.