Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Express network extension issue

I recently purchased a new 802.11n airport express in order to extend the wifi network in my apartment.

Unfortunately AirPort Utility on my MacBook is having a hard time finding the device when plugged in in an area with a strong wifi signal. The only time Utility finds it is when it is plugged directly in to my MacBook or router (a brand new Netgear nighthawk 1900). Even when it does recognize the AirPort, it can't find the name of my home wifi network (under the 'Wireless' tab) and will not allow me to extend.

The instructions included with the product don't help with regard to extending a network.

What am I doing wrong?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 5:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 6:35 PM

The AirPort Express is only able to wirelessly "extend" a signal from another Apple router, so it would not be compatible with other third party routers for this purpose.

If you are able to establish a permanent, wired Ethernet cable connection between the Netgear router and the AirPort Express, the AirPort can be setup to provide additional wireless signal coverage that way.

If your requirements call for a wireless connection between the Netgear router and the extending device, then your best bet would be to use another Netgear product to extend the network.....since the products will be compatible with one another.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2015 6:35 PM in response to DawSwan

The AirPort Express is only able to wirelessly "extend" a signal from another Apple router, so it would not be compatible with other third party routers for this purpose.

If you are able to establish a permanent, wired Ethernet cable connection between the Netgear router and the AirPort Express, the AirPort can be setup to provide additional wireless signal coverage that way.

If your requirements call for a wireless connection between the Netgear router and the extending device, then your best bet would be to use another Netgear product to extend the network.....since the products will be compatible with one another.

AirPort Express network extension issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.