Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Skype (sometimes other apps) keeps crashing

Hey there,

I'm currently trying to help my girlfriend with her MacBook Pro.

Unfortunately I have no physical access to the MacBook as my girlfriend is living in Scotland and I'm in Germany. So I can only help her via Teamviewer or guiding by phone.

It's a MacBook Pro 13" from Mid 2012 with OS X Yosemite.

Specs:

OS X Yosemite 10.10.3

MacBookPro9,2

Intel Core i5 @ 2,5 GHz, 2 cores

2x2 GB DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz

500GB Toshiba HDD (MK5065GSXF), 5400rpm, SMART okay

Intel HD GRaphics 4000 Integrated, Up to 1024 MB VRAM

Boot-ROM-Version: MBP91.00D3.B08

First problems (kind of outdated by now)

She experiences Crashes in several applications. The first time she noticed it was when she tried to access a PLEX media server in Safari. Upon further testing the problem occurs with Skype upon startup, Browser on specific sites like Youtube oder plex.tv and the Mail Application.

They crash and generate a long crash log, which I am unable to decipher as I have only ever used Windows.

I have run the permission check and repair, the HDD check (no errors), Rember Memory test while OS X was running (no errors).

The Hardware Tests on Boot didn't detect any failures, the extended memory test there has not detected anything either.

http://pastebin.com/az8hQrrB Skype Startup Crash Log

http://pastebin.com/dGaD7Z8K Safari Youtube Crash Log

Upon writing this, the problem seems to have changed by now. Mail, Chrome and Safari are working fine for now, but Skype crashes upon startup.

On the first startup it tells you, that there was a problem and it got shut down unexpectedly with the skype error window, then the same message with the mac os error window. Skype then is shut down.

On the second startup the same messages appear, but skype is launched and working. If you shut it down manually, the same behaviour occurs again. So, odd startups generate an error and fail, even startups generate an error but succeed in launching the app.

I've added the other Crash Reports:

http://pastebin.com/qFj9f34Z Skype Crash Log #2

http://pastebin.com/s8gYSLYw Skype Crash Log #2 from the Skype Error Interface

I have also tried to re-install skype (move skype to the bin, empty bin, install skype from the website) but that doesn't change anything.

The only thing I would have guessed from the error messages was a problem with access in the memory, but the tools couldn't find anything.

As it's the first time I have to deal with a Mac related issue, I'm at a loss with this. I hope someone can help us with this problem.

regards, zarukd/vradtke

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 1:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 2:44 PM

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It won’t solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of this test is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account. Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your documents or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this behavior; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault in OS X 10.7 or later, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The "Guest User" login created by "Find My Mac" is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2015 2:44 PM in response to vradtke

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It won’t solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of this test is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account. Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your documents or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this behavior; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault in OS X 10.7 or later, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The "Guest User" login created by "Find My Mac" is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Jun 30, 2015 3:03 PM in response to Linc Davis

The recommended steps didn't solve the problem. I tried:

• deleting all the files
  • uninstalling skype , deleting the files , installing skype
  • everything aforementioned with rebooting.

Still the errors on startup.

In a last attempt I installed Skype Version 6.15.0.335 According to skype.com this is for Mac OS X 10.6-10.8. But this version works just fine, no more crashes. We will leave it at this version, automatic updates are disabled too for now.

Thank you again for the help

Skype (sometimes other apps) keeps crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.