Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

License free fonts

I Am trying to find out if there is an equivalent program for a Mac to Coral Draw on the PC. I am trying to do a non profit project where I will using my own nature photos and inserting text messages in them. Sone one advices me to be careful as some programs have fonts which are not license free and therefire can get in trouble if used and distributed in social media. Apparently Cora Draw has licence free fonts.

thank you, you help is appreciated

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 4:32 PM

8 replies

Jun 30, 2015 5:17 AM in response to joju2012

The fonts the come bundled with Mac OS (and some applications including Microsoft Office) can be used for non commercial and commercial work

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_typefaces_included_with_OS_X

However if your computer came with a True Type Font and you obtained the same font in Open Type that had a non commercial agreement you legally should not use the Open Type font for commercial work.

If you are simply posting images on FB and not selling them or using them for advertising you should not have a problem with the vast majority of fonts in your library.

Any font you obtain outside of Mac OS should have it's own licensing agreement, but to that effect some sites that offer free fonts for commercial use do include pirated copies of fonts that were intended for use under a different set of regulations, so if you see a site offering "ITC Bradley Hand" for free and you also see the same font for $35 on another site its very possible the site with the free font is not legitimate.

Jun 30, 2015 6:55 AM in response to joju2012

Adobe Illustrator would be one professional app that is the same concept as Corel Draw. That is, mainly a vector based drawing and illustration app.

However, since you're starting with a photo, it would make way more sense to use a raster editor such as Photoshop. Since that's rather expensive, you can get Photoshop Elements for a heck of a lot less and it does much of what the full version of Photoshop does (minus any support whatsoever for the CMYK color space, among other features).

Or, you could go the completely free route and use GIMP. It's an open source raster editor that does most of what PS does, including CMYK support. DO NOT download GIMP from any source other than the official .org site. Other sites which legally distribute it have been adding adware to the installer. For GIMP's own download page, click on the smaller text "this link" underneath the larger text "Download GIMP 2.8 from gimp.org". That will get you the full .dmg installer as a direct download rather than through a torrent app.

Jun 30, 2015 7:23 AM in response to Kurt Lang

you can also get a 30 day trail of Corel Painter 2015 which is fully unlocked. For Students and teachers it's can be a good deal (under $100) but straight up purchase your looking at dropping a lot more.

It has some very cool artistic functions PS and Gimp just don't have or don't produce w/o being a chops ninja but it's a very tablet centric app

it does work will in Yosemite AFAICT

Jun 30, 2015 7:39 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

I try to avoid anything produced by Corel. 🙂

They have a loooooong history of buying apps from other vendors, dropping the cost with little or no development time by them, making the fast buck on people rushing to get a "half price" app, then they drop it entirely.

I wish I would have saved the text I saw in Corel's forums once. A member had listed all of the titles to that point Corel had acquired, sold for a short while, then dumped. It was an amazing list of titles most long time computer users would recognize.

They did the same thing with Ultimatte's KnockOut masking app. A $500 dollar Photoshop plugin that Corel initially dropped to $99 after acquiring it. They released two minor upgrades while owning it, then stopped all development before Snow Leopard's release. You could still use it in SL if you had Rosetta installed, but after that, it was dead since they never brought it out of PPC code. But the really low thing they did was continue to sell it for years afterwards with no warning on their site that it wouldn't run on Intel Macs under Lion or later. It wasn't until about a year ago that they finally took it down from their site.

I fear for Toast now. Corel acquired it from Roxio a year ago or so.

Jun 30, 2015 9:57 AM in response to joju2012

joju

If I understand your project correctly, I think you may be able to accomplish it easily in Pages.App > http://www.apple.com/mac/pages/

Have a look at the sample image on the page that has a "red poncho" - an image on the page that has type overlayed.

Steve Jobs was a HUGE fan of typography and fonts. It is said that his 'favorite" font was Helvetica - in all its variations, it is a very versatile Sans Serif font and 'comes with' your system. There are several others that 'come with' that are quite nice fonts as well.

As a design sensibility, I would highly recommend a "less is more" approach in your font inclusion plan - relying mostly on Normal, BOLD, Italic & BoldItalic variations for emphasis and variety

It would help us all greatly to know ALL about your project goals and delivery method.

License free fonts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.