Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari inappropriate behaviors.

Early,15",2008,MBP.,,,Samson,SD,840,EVA,MEGABYTES,+ed, 4GB ram OS 10.10.3 (03/15/'14).,Absolutely,no,problems.,Now:,,Safari,will,not,record,history,of,in ternet,browsing,and,blocks,shutdown,...,use,forced,quit,option. No problems with other browsers.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2008), Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 4:03 PM

16 replies

Jun 29, 2015 4:08 PM in response to Ranatra Fusca

If your Mac is running v10.5.8 as your profile suggests, that's why you are having problemms with Safari. v10.5.8 Leopard is a very outdated Mac OS X.

You should be able to upgrade to v10 Yosemite > How to install OS X Yosemite on your Mac - Apple Support

That would install the latest Safari version 8.0.6. Then you would not have history issues and having to force quit.

Without upgrading, you will continue to have issues with Safari. Apple has not provided security updates for v10.5 Leopard in years.

Jun 29, 2015 4:42 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn S. Please note that I am using OS 10.10.3... yes I know my MBP is older than Cook and company recommend; however, I typically get 10+ years of accurate and useful service from my Apple products before I need to replace them. Since I upgraded the memory and changed to a SSD over one year ago I have not experienced a single glitch.

Jun 29, 2015 4:50 PM in response to Ranatra Fusca

Ok... since you are having more problems than just Safari, check the startup disk.

Launch Disk Utility located in HD > Applications > Utillities

Select the startup disk on the left then select the First Aid tab.

Click: Verify Disk (not Verify Disk Permissions)

If Disk Utility reports errors, restart your Mac while holding down the Command + R keys.

From there you should be able to access the built in utilities in OS X Recoveryto repair the startup disk and restore OS X.

Jun 29, 2015 4:52 PM in response to Ranatra Fusca

Have you checked your Safari Preferences and made sure that they are set correctly for your usage? Also, check your Extensions to make sure that you don't have anything untoward going on there. Just a couple of thoughts.

I don't know how attached you are to Safari, but I use Firefox exclusively - I'm not a big Safari fan.... 😀

Cheers,

GB

Jun 29, 2015 7:08 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc, thanks for jumping in here. I think my anxiety and frustration were speaking there. After submitting my first entry, I tried to get back to my part of the discussion about 25 minutes later. After reacquiring the discussion, I was presented with a warning (in red) that a person, whose name I did not note, was no longer allowed access to this site. I backtracked to see if I was on another discussion. I wasn't. I continued on and was presented with the warning once more. I elected to start from the beginning after closing down Apple Support. Second time I found no warnings but my original entry contained many errors (typos and missing characters). Those errors were not part of the original entry. Thanks for the clarifying question. It helps me to stay focused and on task.

Jun 29, 2015 7:48 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc, My problem with Safari started over one week ago. Since I use the browsing history portion of Safari for much of my internet endeavors I jumped to FireFox and Chrome to fill in for the ailing Safari. These other two browsers have not let me down. They both record the history and allow me to shut down my MBP without going to force quit when I want to shut down my machine.

Safari inappropriate behaviors.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.