Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

if i have a hidden wireless network with enabled access control, is it still possible for others to connect?

if i have a hidden wireless network with enabled access control, is it still possible for others to connect? It's showing an android connected to it!

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 4:51 PM

3 replies

Jun 29, 2015 7:33 PM in response to zoomed_in

A "hidden" network is never really hidden. It is really more of an illusion than anything else, since there are any number of free utilities on the Internet that will reveal a "hidden" network in seconds.

Not sure about the Android device. Is this a device that normally connects to your network? If it has the password for the network, and you have not specifically defined a "rule" that states exactly when the device can and cannot connect to your network.....then it can connect at any time that it wants.

Jun 30, 2015 12:05 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you. I understand now that the hidden network may be revealed by a free utility.
But, no, the android device that showed connected to my network was not any of the devices that I had specifically registered with their respective mac addresses. They all have unlimited access, but the one that was showing as a wireless client was not one of them, reason why I was bothered. I also have a separate guest network with a different password than the (not-so) hidden one that I only turn on when one of my guest devices already registered is present. I'm new at this, but in the past I've had problems with securing my network, reason why I bought the airport extreme allowing me to do this, and went all mac. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Jun 30, 2015 5:03 AM in response to zoomed_in

Are you asking about Timed Access here?

If the default rule that you have for your network is "unlimited" access, then any device that has the password for the network can connect at any time.......unless......you have a set up a "rule" for that device that specifies when it can and cannot connect.

User uploaded file

You would need to change the default rule for the network to No Access. Then, only the devices that you have specified in your "rules" will be allowed to connect to the network. Another device that might have the password for the network would not be able to connect unless it was listed as one of the clients with a connection "rule".

User uploaded file

If you are saying that you do not have an Android device and one is connecting to your network, then you may have an unwanted guest. Change the name of your wireless network and change the password for the network.

"Hiding" your network is not even supported by any wireless industry standards. Anyone who wants to see your network can do so very easily. Sure, it might keep a few honest folks near you from seeing the name of your network. But, they are probably not the guys that you need to worry about.

if i have a hidden wireless network with enabled access control, is it still possible for others to connect?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.