Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I use a Mac Pro backup on my iMac

I erased my drive on my iMac and wish to replicate all of the info from my Mac Pro Time Machine backup - passwords, applications and files.

I am presuming that this will work bit will the machines be confused when on the same network??

Look forward to your reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 5:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 5:36 PM

Use the Setup Assistant or the Migration Assistant to transfer your data from the backup, and then open the Sharing pane of System Preferences and check the computer’s name.

(129475)

4 replies

Jun 29, 2015 5:48 PM in response to Niel

Thanks for responding Neil.

I have completely erased the drive. If I use internet recovery then it is going to take 4 hours to download and will be the OS that came with my 2013 iMac, yes?

How do I use Setup assistant or Migration Assistant. I have a Mac OS X Install ESD with "Install OS X Yosemite" 5.17GB and "Install OS X Mountain Lion"21.7MB. When I boot from this the iMac only sees the Mountain Lion one.

Jun 29, 2015 5:52 PM in response to flexolink

1. Correct.

2. The Setup Assistant will automatically run after a fresh installation. If you just drag-copied the installer to the flash drive, the Startup Manager won’t see it; you need to restart from an actual 10.6.8 or newer system(the minimum Mac OS X version for a 2013 iMac is 10.8.2) to run it.

(129476)

can I use a Mac Pro backup on my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.