Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

p

Are there any free apps for cleaning up my Mac? I know I have a lot of duplicate files and many duplicate pictures in my Photos. Many programs start off free but after you install it they say you must pay to get the complete "clean". My Mac is running slow even though I put in a new terabyte hard drive. Thank you for your help.

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 4:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 7:10 PM

No

and most if not all clean up programs cause major problems and are not necessary

Basically you need to find and address your issue not run a bunch of MalWear - if you have been doing this it is probably the source of your probems

You posted in the iPhoto for Mac forum - if you need help with duplicates in iPhoto there are programs that are safe - Old Toad regularly posts his tested list

I find iPhoto Library Manage to be the the best - it is not free but certainly reasonable

LN

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2015 7:10 PM in response to kathleenfromscotia

No

and most if not all clean up programs cause major problems and are not necessary

Basically you need to find and address your issue not run a bunch of MalWear - if you have been doing this it is probably the source of your probems

You posted in the iPhoto for Mac forum - if you need help with duplicates in iPhoto there are programs that are safe - Old Toad regularly posts his tested list

I find iPhoto Library Manage to be the the best - it is not free but certainly reasonable

LN

Jun 30, 2015 8:59 AM in response to kathleenfromscotia

You have installed some serious malware: Clean my Mac and MacKeeper. It's malware. Read this User Tip: Do not install MacKeeper and these published articles: Blackhats exploiting MacKeeper hole to foist dangerous trojan; Hackers exploit MacKeeper flaw with new Mac OS malware and Watch out for CleanMyMac 2.

Be sure to uninstall according to the developer's instructions. You can check to see if you've removed all of the files by downloading and running Find Any File to search for any files with the application's name and the developer's name in the file name. For example for CleanMyMac you'd do two searches:

1 - Name contains cleanmymac

2 - Name contains macpaw

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.

User uploaded file

p

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.