Newsroom Update

The all-new Logic Pro for iPad and Mac delivers breakthrough music-making experiences. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro X 10.1

Min requirement for running the latest, purchased from Apple, version of Logic Pro (10.1) is MacOS 10.9.5. My current Macbook (mid 2010) is running 10.8.5 and I've deliberately not upgraded it to avoid the usual scenario of having apps like Word (2011) fall over. I'm caught in that well known hamster wheel of software and hardware upgrades necessitating other upgrades. All advice and recommendations vis-a-vis Logic greatly appreciated... The last Logic purchase I had was decades ago... v 6.4.3 - which I can still actually run on this computer, because I have it partitioned with my int 2TB HD - so I can still start up in 10.6.8... but not surprisingly it's becoming a bit unworkable. Like many Mac users, I have to carefully watch my budget and only upgrade when all other options stop working

MacBook (13-inch), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 2011/12

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 4:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 6:35 PM

Personally on a Mac of that age.. I'd run 10.6.8 and Logic Pro 9.1.5 and not attempt to upgrade either OS X any further... or upgrade to LPX.... as the performance hit the newer OS's and LPX make on your system is substantially higher... LP9.1.8 can run under Lion and Mountain Lion but again stability and performance are not as good as under 10.6.8... and under 10.9 and 10.10 overall performance is much reduced...

LPX 10.1.1 and Yosemite 10.10.3 is fairly stable.. and would run on your system.. but again, the performance hit of that newer OS would tax your hardware much more than 10.6.8 would.... and frankly I don't think the loss of performance is worth the upgrade for your Mac...

The problem with my suggested combo... is that you cannot purchase LP9 any longer from Apple but you could find a used copy of the FULL (Not Upgrade) version of Logic Studio 2.0 which contains LP9 on somewhere like eBay..... Install that and then update it to 9.1.5 (or maybe even 9.1.8 if you wished) though I stick with 9.1.5 for the best overall performance and stability with older Macs... This combo of OS X and Logic is the one that several of the regulars here, stick with.. because of it's overall stability and performance...

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2015 6:35 PM in response to DKay

Personally on a Mac of that age.. I'd run 10.6.8 and Logic Pro 9.1.5 and not attempt to upgrade either OS X any further... or upgrade to LPX.... as the performance hit the newer OS's and LPX make on your system is substantially higher... LP9.1.8 can run under Lion and Mountain Lion but again stability and performance are not as good as under 10.6.8... and under 10.9 and 10.10 overall performance is much reduced...

LPX 10.1.1 and Yosemite 10.10.3 is fairly stable.. and would run on your system.. but again, the performance hit of that newer OS would tax your hardware much more than 10.6.8 would.... and frankly I don't think the loss of performance is worth the upgrade for your Mac...

The problem with my suggested combo... is that you cannot purchase LP9 any longer from Apple but you could find a used copy of the FULL (Not Upgrade) version of Logic Studio 2.0 which contains LP9 on somewhere like eBay..... Install that and then update it to 9.1.5 (or maybe even 9.1.8 if you wished) though I stick with 9.1.5 for the best overall performance and stability with older Macs... This combo of OS X and Logic is the one that several of the regulars here, stick with.. because of it's overall stability and performance...

Logic Pro X 10.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.