Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie keeps trying to update but never completes the update. Any reason why?

iMovie keeps restarting update when it has almost completed the download. Why is it doing so?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 5:05 PM

2 replies

Jun 29, 2015 5:17 PM in response to fmomade

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Select

/var/log install.log

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen. The contents of the log will appear on the right. Each log message begins with a timestamp. Select the messages from the time of the last installation or update attempt. If you're not sure when that was, click the Clear Display button in the toolbar of the Console window and then try the installation again. Select the new messages that appear. Copy the messages to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message (command-V).

If there are runs of repeated messages, post only one example of each. Don’t post many repetitions of the same message.

When posting a log extract, be selective. Don't post more than is requested.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting. You may need to use a text editor with search and replace, such as TextEdit.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

Nov 12, 2015 12:50 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc

Upgrading from Mountain Lion to El Capitan, I started iMovie 9.0.9 forgetting it was no longer compatible.

iMovie started and some blank windows popped up and in one of them appeared « Maintenant » meaning NOW.

The rest of them were blank.

Then I thought that it could mean « do you want to upgrade NOW » and I clicked.

Nothing happened and I had to kill the process.

Did this several times with same result.

Then I moved to the Appstore. iMovie 11 appeared with the update button.

Clicking on it I saw the Appstore window wheel turning, and that was it.

Even hours later it was still turning.

Did this several times with same behavior.

I do have an iMovie 9.0.9 library that I don’t want to loose and I have a before El Capitan upgrade bootable ML drive I can fetch from.

Would you have a way to get me unstuck ?

thank you very much

Alain

Enclosed below excerpt from the install log you suggested

Nov 11 22:56:02 pc27 softwareupdate_notify_agent[1595]: Notifying with params: {

SoftwareUpdateCount = 1;

SoftwareUpdatesAvailable = 1;

}

Nov 11 22:56:02 pc27 softwareupdate_notify_agent[1595]: appstoreupdateagent notified

Nov 11 22:56:02 pc27 softwareupdated[410]: Removing client SUUpdateServiceClient pid=1595, uid=503, installAuth=NO rights=(), transactions=0 (/System/Library/CoreServices/Software Update.app/Contents/Resources/softwareupdate_notify_agent)

Nov 11 22:56:02 pc27 softwareupdate_notify_agent[1595]: AssertionMgr: Cancel com.apple.softwareupdate.NotifyAgentAssertion assertion for pid 1595

<here I tried again by clicking on the iMovie Icon in the Appstore window and "update" button again and went to sleep>

Nov 12 04:52:15 pc27 softwareupdated[410]: BackgroundActivity: Starting Background Check Activity

Nov 12 04:52:15 pc27 softwareupdated[410]: Host (null) isReachable = YES

Nov 12 04:52:15 pc27 softwareupdated[410]: BackgroundActions: Automatic check parameters: autoDownload=YES, autoConfigData=YES, autoCriticalInstall=YES

Nov 12 04:52:15 pc27 softwareupdated[410]: SoftwareUpdate: Fired early. Next check=12/11/2015 22:52 (interval=86280.000000, A/C=YES)

Nov 12 04:52:15 --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Nov 12 04:52:15 pc27 softwareupdated[410]: BackgroundActivity: Finished Background Check Activity

Nov 12 04:52:15 pc27 softwareupdate_notify_agent[2100]: Running for UpdatesAvailable

Nov 12 04:52:15 pc27 softwareupdate_notify_agent[2100]: AssertionMgr: Take com.apple.softwareupdate.NotifyAgentAssertion assertion with type BackgroundTask for pid 2100

Nov 12 04:52:15 pc27 softwareupdate_notify_agent[2100]: Waiting 120 seconds before sending the notification to App Store

Nov 12 04:54:15 pc27 softwareupdated[410]: Adding client SUUpdateServiceClient pid=2100, uid=503, installAuth=NO rights=(), transactions=0 (/System/Library/CoreServices/Software Update.app/Contents/Resources/softwareupdate_notify_agent)

Nov 12 04:54:15 pc27 softwareupdate_notify_agent[2100]: Notifying with params: {

SoftwareUpdateCount = 1;

SoftwareUpdatesAvailable = 1;

}

Nov 12 04:54:15 pc27 softwareupdate_notify_agent[2100]: appstoreupdateagent notified

Nov 12 04:54:15 pc27 softwareupdated[410]: Removing client SUUpdateServiceClient pid=2100, uid=503, installAuth=NO rights=(), transactions=0 (/System/Library/CoreServices/Software Update.app/Contents/Resources/softwareupdate_notify_agent)

Nov 12 04:54:15 pc27 softwareupdate_notify_agent[2100]: AssertionMgr: Cancel com.apple.softwareupdate.NotifyAgentAssertion assertion for pid 2100

<next morning I clicked on the iMovie icon in the Appstore window, thus stopping the wheel>

Nov 12 09:19:55 pc27 softwareupdated[410]: Removing client SUUpdateServiceClient pid=587, uid=503, installAuth=NO rights=(), transactions=0 (/System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.W ebKit.WebContent.xpc/Contents/MacOS/com.apple.WebKit.WebContent)

Nov 12 09:20:25 --- last message repeated 1 time ---

iMovie keeps trying to update but never completes the update. Any reason why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.