Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update to iOS 8.3 w/o iTunes

Hello. I want to update my iPhone 6 plus to 8.3 from 8.1.3 wirelessly. However, the last time I updated wirelessly I was prompted to connect my iPhone to iTunes when the process was done. I don't have a computer right now, so I was basically left with a brick. Do I have to connect to iTunes at the end of the updating process?

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 8:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 8:31 PM

No you should not have to use iTunes at the end of an update, unless something goes wrong with the update. It should simply update directly on your iPhone and reboot a couple times.

If it requested to be connect to iTunes it was because the update had an issue, and a restore from iTunes was necessary to fix it.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2015 8:31 PM in response to aaroncooke

No you should not have to use iTunes at the end of an update, unless something goes wrong with the update. It should simply update directly on your iPhone and reboot a couple times.

If it requested to be connect to iTunes it was because the update had an issue, and a restore from iTunes was necessary to fix it.

Jun 29, 2015 8:31 PM in response to aaroncooke

Not if the update was successful. If you get a Connect to iTunes screen at the end of an update, that means the device was forced into Recovery mode as a result of an issue with the update.

There is really no way to tell if that might happen again. In theory, it shouldn't, but that is no guarantee that it won't.

Do you have anyone near with a computer running iTunes? You can hook it up to any computer running iTunes to Recover it:

IOS RECOVERY MODE RESTORE

Just be sure to make a backup to iCloud before starting the update.

Cheers,

GB

Update to iOS 8.3 w/o iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.