Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i make it so my messages do not remain with my phone after i restore and backup from a previous backup on

im trying to figure out how to backup your iphone to your computer without backing up the stored messages, so when you restore your phone and back it up to the previous backup file, the messages do not come with it. Ive been having trouble with my phone not deleting messages, whenever i delete a message thread, the app freezes, then when i click the home button and close all running apps and re-open imessage, the messages are all wiped out, so when i restart my phone, the messages all appear again, even the ones i wanted to be deleted, leaving me unable to free up any sort of space on my phone due to this obvious bug. SOS

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 11:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 11:30 PM

Backing up is an all-or-nothing deal. You can't exclude messages. Try going to Settings > Messages > Keep Messages > 30 Days. If the messages you want to delete are less than 30 days old, you can go to Settings > General > Date & Time, temporarily turn off the automatic set feature, and enter a time a month in the future.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2015 11:30 PM in response to Kmurphy199726

Backing up is an all-or-nothing deal. You can't exclude messages. Try going to Settings > Messages > Keep Messages > 30 Days. If the messages you want to delete are less than 30 days old, you can go to Settings > General > Date & Time, temporarily turn off the automatic set feature, and enter a time a month in the future.

how do i make it so my messages do not remain with my phone after i restore and backup from a previous backup on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.