Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes could not back up the iphone because the iphone disconnected

I tried to make a back up of my iphone in itunes. Itunes and iphone are already with the latest version.

First I transfer the purchases from iphone "..." and good

Then File / Devices / Back up ... start copying and then shows the message... itunes could not back up the iphone because the iphone disconnected.

The last copy I made was 28/4/15

Please help!!!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 7:52 PM

5 replies

Aug 10, 2015 2:51 PM in response to Morro77

If "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" is checked in iTunes Preferences --> Advanced Preferences, make sure that "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to the library" is also checked. I didn't have the second item checked and that seemed to be causing the "iPhone is disconnected" error as well as synch errors. When I checked that item, the synching worked and I did not receive the "iPhone is disconnected" error message when doing a complete backup to my computer.

Sep 27, 2015 10:33 AM in response to Morro77

I tried everything here and this is what worked.

I first had to sync and transfer everything, then I rebooted my computer and my iPhone. I only had to do this once but I had to do it every time I wanted to backup to iTunes on my computer.

Even worse I was backing up because I was getting the new iPhone 6s and when I did the restore on the new iPhone I got the same message after 1 hour of restoring. After rebooting my computer, Instead of continuing my restore it had me upgrade to 9.0.1 which messed up everything because after all this I got the "hello" screen again and it started asking me how I wanted to restore. That sounds good but now the old backup I was using didn't show as available to restore. I decided to restore my iPhone which I thought would wipe out the 9.0.1 update but it just seamed to make it start over and gave me back access to the iphone6 backup. I plan to try to backup from this iPhone 6s tonight to see if this problem still happens.

itunes could not back up the iphone because the iphone disconnected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.