Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WhatsApp - no notifications when iPhone 5s is locked

Hello,

I've recently moved to Lebanon and switched my network provider for my iPhone 5s 2013 to one of the large companies out here - Touch.

Since doing so I've been unable to receive WhatsApp notifications while the phone is locked and it is quite important for me to do so for work. They will pop up on the lock screen for perhaps a minute after the phone has been locked but after that, nothing. This is the same whether I am on 3G or Wi-Fi.

I currently have a data package which allows WhatsApp data but no other internet usage but I have friends who have iPhone’s on the same network with the same settings and they seem to have no trouble.

I have checked the WhatsApp settings and ensured that everything is correct and notifications should show up when the screen is locked.

Furthermore, I checked the iPhone settings and ensured WhatsApp was allowed to use mobile data, notifications were on, notifications to lock screen were on, background app refresh was on and all other appropriate settings were on.

Following this I checked the WhatsApp troubleshooting page and unfortunately the only solutions there were the ones I had already tried.

I also checked the Apple support forums and attempted their fix which was to delete WhatsApp, back up the phone, erase it and set it up as a new phone, then restore the backup and re-download WhatsApp.

Unfortunately this did not work either.

Further info: The app is updated, as is the phone software. There are no other issues with the phone. Even when on Wi-Fi when I can use the internet and the phone should work as normal (unlike when I'm roaming around - the internet is essentially blocked but WhatsApp is allowed to use data) the notifications do not come through. I didn't use WhatsApp back in the UK so I can't compare whether it worked before. When I have the app open it works perfectly but even when the phone is unlocked and not on the app, it doesn't come through. It only works when I go on the app.

The only solution I can think of is to turn off Auto-Lock and leave WhatsApp open.

I’m reaching out to WhatsApp as well but could you suggest any further things I may try to fix the phone? It’s quite important to have this function for work.

Thanks!

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 10:40 PM

5 replies

Jul 13, 2015 11:34 AM in response to Jonesy1991

Jonesy1991 wrote:

WhatsApp suggested several things (all along the lines of "Check you have us notifications on") which did not work.

They believe it to be an Apple problem with the push notification.

Anyone able to help?

I don't use WhatsApp, but none of my apps, Apple or third party, are having an issue like this. Plus the number of recent complaints about WhatsApp I've seen on the forum would lead to me to be skeptical about any efforts on WhatApp's part to push the blame to Apple. They seem to have a pattern of doing that. Push notifications are working just fine in iOS.

You seem to have tried anything I could suggest. Other than pestering WhatsApp until they actual fix the issue, not sure what else I could recommend (a different messaging platform, but I gather from your post, that isn't an option).

WhatsApp - no notifications when iPhone 5s is locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.