Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to move a clip by one frame in iMovie 10.0.9?

In older versions of iMovie, I was able to move my clips to the left by one frame by selecting them, and clicking the < key (or to the right by using the > key). This was extremely handy for precision editing.

I've just updated to 10.0.9 and now when I hit that key, I get the error sound.

Is there a new shortcut? What is it?

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 8:59 PM

7 replies

Jun 30, 2015 2:08 AM in response to GeeD

Hi Geoff,

Thanks so much for your reply.

I tried the left and right keys - all that does it move the curser rather than nudging the clip itself. Weirdly, if I hold down option+< , the clip will nudge to the left... but option+> doesn't make it nudge to the right! It's very strange.

This is a brand new 2014 iMac, literally taken out of the box today when another work computer I was using died. The only other thing that's not working is the trackpad, which won't connect via Bluetooth, but I'm sure those two things aren't connected.

My job involves noting down the position of clips to the frame... so not being able to move them into place precisely is having a big effect on me - moving the clip with a mouse is much less accurate even with snapping on. I'd love to find out a fix for this!

Thanks,

Becca

Jun 30, 2015 3:56 PM in response to Barneshumbug

I'm not sure which version of iMovie you used to use but withe current "magnetic timeline" clips in the main timeline are automatically placed next to each other with no gaps so moving them requires trimming. Audio tracks and picture in picture clips (respectively below and above the main timeline can be moved with the mouse by an amount corresponding to a single frame in the main clip. You need to expand the timeline to maximum magnification.

Geoff.

Jun 30, 2015 4:04 PM in response to GeeD

I used to use 10.0.5 on the other computer, the new one has 10.0.9.

It is audio clips that I am moving, yes, and I have it on max magnification. Moving the audio clips one frame with a mouse takes much longer than shunting it with the < and > keys. But I'm starting to think that this is an ability that has been taken from the newer version of the programme. I find it really strange that option+< will move an audio clip one frame to the left, but that the opposite doesn't apply for moving it to the right.

Jun 30, 2015 4:35 PM in response to Barneshumbug

I was not even aware of this control - It is not listed in the keyboard shortcuts for 10.0.8 (http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.0.8/#/movd9d8f91e8)

I have just checked and found the same behaviour on my late 2007 MacbookPro option< works but option> doesn't.

Interestingly in FCP X shift-option-< and shift-option-> both work but option-< and option-> don't

Geoff.

Jun 30, 2015 4:53 PM in response to GeeD

It's very strange - the old computer (and when I say old - it's not even old, it's a late 2012 27 inch iMac) doesn't require holding shift, it's just < or > to move the audio clip to the left or right one frame. I've had a big Google, and I can't find it in any keyboard short cut lists either.

I must be going batty! But it's an extremely handy function for what I do (which is dealing with hundreds of voice over clips, and putting them in the right place).

Good to know that FCP X has the function. Maybe it's time to switch to that... unless anyone else has a solution?

Aug 26, 2015 4:37 PM in response to Barneshumbug

I am having the same problem on a Mid 2015 MacBook Pro 15.4 inch running 10.10.5 with iMovie 10.0.9. I'm putting b-roll on top of a video track. Sometimes when I add or change what b-roll is there it leaves a one frame section of the A-roll showing through. Nothing I can do gets rid of it. I'm starting over adding the b-roll hoping that if I don't make any changes to the order of the elements the problem won't happen. If that doesn't work I'm going back to an older computer runnon 10.7.

How to move a clip by one frame in iMovie 10.0.9?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.